Mont Blanc traverse

Mont Blanc traverse

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 20, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Climbing week from 15.07.05 - 22.07.05 in the Dauphiné and Mont Blanc range

Barre des ÉcrinsBarre des Écrins
Roche FaurioRoche Faurio
Barre des ÉcrinsView from the summit of Roche Faurio


After 1 week of climbing in the Dolomites with my wife I went with 2 friends to the Dauphiné Alps. After climbing Roche Faurio, Dôme de Neige and Barre des Écrins we drove to Chamonix. This wasn´t so easy because of the Tour de France many roads were closed (for example the Col du Galibier). We arrived in Chamonix in the afternoon of the 15/07/2005.

Refuge Cosmique

Auguille du Midi on the way to Refuge CosmiqueAiguille du Midi while descending to Refuge Cosmique

Evening view from Refuge CosmiqueEvening light from Refuge Cosmique
View from Refuge CosmiqueView from the hut to Mont Blanc

Mont Blanc from Refuge CosmiqueView to Mont Blanc



As the weather forecast said that it will be perfect weather for the next 2 days we decided to make the Mont Blanc traverse.
We took the cablecar to the Aiguille du Midi. Then we descended to Refuge Cosmique.

Mont Blanc traverse

Aiguille di Midi from Mont MauditSunrise before Mont Maudit

Matterhorn + Grandes Jorasses: View from Mont MauditA great morning view
View from the top of Mont Blancsummit view

User Profile Imagesummit of Mont Blanc de Courmayeur



We slept in the Refuge Cosmique (3.600 m) and started in the night at 1:30 after a very good breakfast. The way to Mont Blanc du Tacul and Mont Maudit is really steep but as there was enough snow that it wasn´t to delicate.
At the Mont Maudit there is a scarp of 60°. There it was a accumulation - and climbers who could not wait and were reckless! Idiots! There was icefall and a piece of ice hit my nose. It was bleeding but by the cold weather after a few minutes I didn´t feel the pain anymore. Before reaching Mont Maudit we experienced a great sunrise with the Matterhorn and Weisshorn in the background. And then we saw the Mont Blanc - and after some more hours we were on the top! What a great view: Grand Jorasses, Monte Rosa, Matterhorn, Dauphiné Alps, Gran Paradiso - a perfect dream!!! At the summit at 16/07/05! Then we crossed to Mont Blanc de Courmayeur. This way was blank ice and quite delicate. Then we went back to the top of Mont Blanc - and we were alone! After enjoying the sight we descended the Bosses ridge to Dome de Goûter.



Enlarge
Panorama - Mont Blanc seen from Dome du Goûter


After a night in the Goûter hut we descended the rest.
The hut was completely full with people laying on the floor, on the tables and on the chairs. But as I was injured with my nose I got a bed. When the Mont Blanc climbers stood up at 1:00 I had all place in the world and could sleep until the morning! Great feeling! When we descended we had to cross the dangerous Grand Couloir. In the Grand Couloir we had much luck as a stone flew half a meter next to us into the depth. A hit of this stone may have been deadly... Thanks God!

Then we made a relaxing day in Chamonix and slept one night in Argentière. We enjoyed a great meal and a few bottles of delicious french wine!
On Sunday we drove back to Germany, absolutely happy and satisfied and dreaming of further climbs in the wonderful Alps!

It was a really long tour - but one of the greatest I ever made!





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
desainme

desainme - Nov 9, 2006 3:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting Report

You had some great vistas and sunrise scenes. I guess Mont Maudit lived up to its name- with the ice and all. Your text is well supported with good pictures.

schmid_th

schmid_th - Nov 9, 2006 3:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting Report

Thanks, John.
Mont Maudit is a great mountain! Not the highest but with great routes and a great view - to the highest, to Mont Blanc!
Thomas

turistoalpinista

turistoalpinista - Nov 9, 2006 4:19 pm - Voted 10/10

As you could...

As you could read in my TR I was on the summit 2 days before you...Weather was perfect, wasn't it? When we were on Gran Paradiso(11/7/2005), the weather was great too...so, it's 6 days of perfect weather(maybe only 13th July was worse, but still many climbers reached the summit...).We were really lucky with the weather...(by the way, the conditions were perfect too).
TA

schmid_th

schmid_th - Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: As you could...

Really funny - maybe will meet at another Alps summit! ;-)

Yes, it was really perfect! Sometimes we need some luck...

Thomas

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Nov 9, 2006 4:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Report!

Nice TR. Nice pictures. You have to guide me up ti there next summer! Sebastian

schmid_th

schmid_th - Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report!

Thanks for the compliment!
I lead you to some other summits next year! ;-)
Thomas

steste

steste - Nov 16, 2006 9:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Good job

and a lot of nice photos.
Congras.
Steste

schmid_th

schmid_th - Nov 20, 2006 7:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job

Thanks! Your image gallery is also beautiful! I voted some of them...

Viewing: 1-8 of 8

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.