Monte Castellaz loop trail from Passo Rolle

Monte Castellaz loop trail from Passo Rolle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.30788°N / 11.79417°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: EE
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Monte Castellaz 2333 m is beautiful! It appears as a huge castle located in the middle of wide green ripples, showing steep rocky walls on three sides. Indeed to the North there is a weak side, from which the summit is accessible without the use of climbing gear. The mountain rises isolated between Val Venegia and the highlands of Passo Rolle and is an exceptional panoramic point on the Northern chain of the Pale di San Martino. The Normal route is a steep and partially rocky trail which levels out near the statue of Cristo Pensante (Pensive Christ) guards the remaining ascent to the summit.

 

Monte Castellaz
Monte Castellaz

During the Great War the Castellaz was fortified by Italian Alpini to protect Passo Rolle. The whole summit area hosts well preserved remains of that era. A bit further down in the North-East face there is also a large cave which was used to host men and provisions.

Cimon della Pala seen from Monte Castellaz
Cimon della Pala seen from Monte Castellaz
Well preserved WWI stone-shelter on the summit of Monte Castellaz
Well preserved WWI stone-shelter on the summit of Monte Castellaz

 

 

Getting There

 

The starting point of the itinerary is Passo Rolle 1980 m, reachable from the San Martino di Castrozza side or from Predazzo. Parking lot on the San Martino di Castrozza side nearby the first bench. 

Castellaz (2.333 mtrs)
Castellaz (2.333 mtrs)

Route Description

Summit of Monte Castellaz from Passo Rolle loop trail 

Difficulty: EE
Difference in level: 350 m from Passo Rolle

 

Pale di San Martino seen from Baita Segantini
Pale di San Martino seen from Baita Segantini

From Passo Rolle 1980 m, at the first hairpin bend in the direction towards S. Martino di Castrozza take a dirt road on the left that leads to Capanna Cervino and Baita Segantini and climbs to reach a vast plateau. To the right pass near the Capanna Cervino 2090 m and then continue around the west side of Cima Costazza and cross the wide expanses of meadows already in view of the rocky walls of Monte Castellaz. Reached a crossroads with signsposts, take the path (R01) which goes to the left at first  flat then uphill, skirting the proud Castellaz on the left side. The itinerary crosses slantwise the scree at the base of the mountain bypassing this side and thus reaching the West side of the Castellaz.

The ascent to Cristo Pensante, Monte Castellaz
The ascent to Cristo Pensante, Monte Castellaz
Statue of Cristo Pensante near the summit of Monte Castellaz
Statue of Cristo Pensante near the summit of Monte Castellaz

 

 

 

 

From here the route starts to climb up a slope reaching the statue of the "Cristo Pensante", not located on the true summit of the mountain but a little lower to the right. From the statue you reach briefly the small wooden summit cross with an easy scramble slanting left. From the true top, continue along the summit ridge in the opposite direction to the ascent route, pass through some well-preserved WWI remains and start descending on the opposite side, the one looking towards Val Venegia.

Castellaz, the descent to Val Venegia
Castellaz, the descent to Val Venegia

 

This path (always R01) is less steep, less rocky and a little longer than that of the climb, but will allow you to make a magnificent loop also passing through the Baita Segantini.

Once the descent to Val Venegia is completed, the itinerary takes the right direction and surrounded the northern end of the Castellaz, it begins to rise again reaching the Baita Segantini. From here you descend with a comfortable track to Passo Rolle, closing the ring.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear. 

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

Soldanella Alpina, Monte Castellaz
Soldanella Alpina, Monte Castellaz
Blooming of Camedrio Alpino (Dryas Octopetala) and Vulneraria (Anthyllis Vulneraria), Pale di San Martino
Blooming of Camedrio Alpino (Dryas Octopetala) and Vulneraria (Anthyllis Vulneraria), Pale di San Martino

Accomodation

When to climb

Hiking: from June to October
Ski-mountaineering: from February to March

Bibliography

Pale di San Martino, sheet 22, Tabacco 1:25000

Meteo Forecast

Meteo Trentino



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.