Monte Perdido (Lost Mountain) - Our first 3000m

Monte Perdido (Lost Mountain) - Our first 3000m

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 42.68900°N / 0.01600°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 8, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

GETTING THERE

My brother Gabi and me traveled by car from Madrid to Torla (Huesca) province. In this nice Alpine town we had dinner, prepared the gear and slept, dreaming on big white mountains.

The next morning we went to the Ordesa National Park where we parked our car and our adventure started.
Ordesa National Park

DAY 1 (April 7, 2006)

Parking of Ordesa National Park (1350m/08h30am)–Goriz Hut (2160m/14h30)

Our intention was to sleep in the Goriz Hut, therefore we applied a calm rhythm to our hike of 8,5 Km to Clavijas del Soaso. It was our first time in this marvelous environment, so we admired the beauty of this glacial valley – U shaped with it’s high & vertical walls, from which the snow began to disappear, the Arazas river and it’s waterfalls, and Monte Perdido appearing and disappearing in the middle of the clouds.
Monte Perdido


Just before climbing the Clavijas del Soaso we admired the nice waterfall “Cola de Caballo” (Horse Tail). Up in the platform there is a wonderful view of the valley, the river disappearing down in the horizon. The hike from here to the Goriz Hut is easy and takes around 1 hour. We were lucky as we were just a few people there and we heard how in summer gets packed.

Cola de Caballo (Ordesa National Park)


We admired the views from the hut, enjoyed an abundant dinner, cards and chat with the other mountaineers and went to sleep with a big smile.

Ordesa Glacial Valley

DAY 2 (April 8, 2006)

Goriz Hut (2160m/08h30am)- Monte Perdido (3355m/12h30pm)-Goriz Hut (2160m/15h00pm)-Parking of Ordesa National Park (1350m/19h00pm)

The clouds in the morning predicted a rather complex ascent, though the lack of wind and the moderate temperature encouraged us. Snow was rather soft so we needed to take the snowshoes.

Hillside of Monte Perdido

Monte Perdido Hillside


So we departed full of energy up the white way. Our first milestone was the “Lago Helado” (Iced Lake), which at this moment of the year is covered with snow. This place is perfect to make a stop, take a tea, put your crampons and with your ice axe in your hand face the most difficult part of the climbing “La Escupidera” which is a kind of natural slide of snow/ice with 3 exits to hell turning down to your right when climbing. A mistake here can be mortal.

La Escupidera (Monte Perdido)


We focused, all our 6 senses at full performance and applied a slow but continuous rhythm. The clouds and fog surrounding us in all the ascent. Finally we reached the “collado” and turned right to reach easily then the Monte Perdido’s summit. Although we regretted the total lack of view we were very happy having reached our first 3000m summit. Nevertheless, we could not calm down as we knew we needed to face “La Escupidera” downwards, so celebrations later.

Up there we relaxed a bit, took a picture and a tea, and back to business.

Monte Perdido s summit


The descend through La Escupidera was amazing as you could recognize through the deep clouds the slides in your left fading away vertically. So again at full focus we passed the cold doors to hell and reached again the “Lago Helado”. Once there we changed our gears and continued our descend with a quicker pace in spite of the soft snow.

We reached the Goriz Hut where we again took our time to change gear and beer and proceed home.

The pass through Clavijas and the valley was without any problems and we continued admiring this beautiful spot of the Pyrenees.

All in all, a great experience. We celebrated thoroughly our first 3000m in Zaragoza where we made night before heading to Madrid.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
John Climber

John Climber - Apr 22, 2006 6:15 pm - Voted 8/10

Congratulations!!

Felicidades! You made it. Nice trip report. Good and impressive photos.

pablo

pablo - Apr 23, 2006 7:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations!!

Muchas gracias /thanks a lot...

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Apr 26, 2006 8:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Enhorabuena

very nice winter climb to this beautifull mountain.
Warning to muntaineers of SP: la escupidera is a very dangerous pass in winter. This is an important climb.

Para ser el primer 3000 hacerlo en invierno creo que tiene mucho mérito. Felicidades.

pablo

pablo - Apr 27, 2006 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Enhorabuena

Muchas gracias Rafa, efectivamente hubo momentos muy intensos que no se olvidaran !

Indeed La Escupidera requires full focus and care. Crampons, Ice axe and even a rope is recommended !!

A nice mountain !!

pablo

pablo - Apr 27, 2006 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Enhorabuena

Efectivamente. Gracias por la observacion !

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Jan 21, 2008 8:41 am - Voted 10/10

Escupidera

Hola Pablo,
we also found the Escupidera interesting on our first visit in May 2001, so interesting in fact that we retreated due to having only telescopic poles (unsuitable for Ice). We returned in 2002 with our Ice axes and completed the climb. Luckily for us the view was perfectly clear.
cheers Johnnie

pablo

pablo - Jan 21, 2008 10:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Escupidera

Hola Johnnie,
I am very pleased for your comments and about your decision to retrieve and to come back to Monte Perdido and "La escupidera". It can be really dangerous if not having adequate gear. Ordesa Valley is splendid in any case and deserves several visits. Saludos. Pablo

eza

eza - Jun 2, 2008 9:57 am - Voted 10/10

¡Pues ya tiene mérito...

hacer vuestro primer tresmil en condiciones invernales! Enhorabuena por la cima, y gracias por colgar el trip report. Estupendas fotos, por cierto.

pablo

pablo - Jun 3, 2008 2:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: ¡Pues ya tiene mérito...

Muchas gracias. Una buena experiencia de iniciacion ; )

Viewing: 1-9 of 9

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monte PerdidoTrip Reports