Monte Piana snowshoes route

Monte Piana snowshoes route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.61502°N / 12.24495°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Piana and Monte PianoMonte Piana from Rifugio Locatelli



route typesnowshoes
elevation2324 m
elevation gain570 m from Misurina
length11 km
Difficultyeasy hike – no avalanche danger
Time required4 hours





This popular route is a very easy and relaxing snowshoes hike ( that can be done also with skis following a slightly different trail ) , very rewarding for the spectacular views especially on the famous Tre Cime di Lavaredo. The 360° panorama from the summit is fantastic, much better than the summer view even though you can’t see the very impressive rests of the WWI on Monte Piana, completely covered by the snow. My advice is to avoid this route on the weekends, because the Rifugio Bosi ( that is situated a few hundred meters below the summit of the mountain ) can be reached by shuttle services with motor-sleds from Misurina so there is always too much people to enjoy the perfect beauty of this magic place.

Getting There

Monte Piana


Misurina can be reached from Dobbiaco/Toblach trough the Val di Landro and the Val Popena Bassa ( 21 km ), from Cortina d’Ampezzo trough the Passo Tre Croci ( 14 km ) and from Auronzo di Cadore trough the Val d’Ansiei ( 20 km ). From the lake follow the indications for Rifugio Auronzo and park your car before the toll road, near the Bar Genzianella.

Route Description




Cristallo group


From the parking lot take the road to Rifugio Bosi ( big sign ) and after 20 minutes or so turn left following the indications “Monte Piana – Pedoni” or “itinerario ciaspe n°1” . If you are with skis you have to follow the tracks of the motor-sleds on the right. In this first part are really beautiful the views to the lake of Misurina with the massive Sorapiss in the background , to the Cadini and to the Cristallo group. After 1 hour you’ll reach the Forcella Alta ( 1984 m ), where the view opens to the wonderful Tre Cime. From the notch you have just to turn left and follow the road to the Rifugio Bosi, that you’ll reach in half an hour. From the hut you have to go up for another 20 minutes till you’ll reach the Capanna Carducci on the summit of Monte Piana. From there you can admire a stunning view of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo but also of the Cadini, the Marmarole, the Sorapiss, to all the Cristallo group, the Tofane, the Fanes-Braies-Sennes group, the Croda Rossa d’Ampezzo, the Croda del Becco, the Picco di Vallandro, the Rocca dei Baranci group, the Monti Rudo group, the Croda dei Rondoi and all the Tre Scarperi group.

Forcella AltaForcella Alta
Rifugio Bosi al Monte PianaRifugio Bosi
Capanna CarducciCapanna Carducci

Summit views

Tre Cime di Lavaredo
Croda Rossa d’Ampezzo


Views from Monte Piana - Punta dei Tre ScarperiPunta dei Tre Scarperi
Views from Monte Piana - CristalloCristallo group
Rifugio Locatelli alle Tre Cime di LavaredoRifugio Locatelli

Picco di VallandroPicco di Vallandro
Cadini di MisurinaCadini di Misurina
Monte PianoCroda dei Rondoi, Monti Rudo and Rocca dei Baranci

Panoramic views

North-west view


South-east view




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.