bobeck
on Dec 18, 2007 2:21 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 366126

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-12 of 12
tanya

tanya - Dec 18, 2007 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Rock Climbing...

Love that shot!

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 19, 2007 9:11 am - Hasn't voted

Had no problems holding

on that january day! My hands were frozen into a very nice "hook shape"!

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 19, 2007 9:29 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

I love the contrast between light and dark. Excellent work! --mark d.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 1, 2008 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

Bo ?

When you are climbing, do you ever come across
Pictographs or Petroglyphs etched or carved into the rocks? Perhaps you're too busy trying to find some hand-holds. What is on top of Checkerboard Mesa? Interesting! I want to see it from that perspective. Thanks
for sharing & posting! Happy New 2008!!!

bobeck

bobeck - Jan 2, 2008 10:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bo ?

Funny you should mention that? Yes I do. 10 years ago I came across some amazing petroglyphs in Snow Canyon as I was working my way up a new route. I ceased continuing any further (in respect) and reported them to the State Park officials. They brought in the archaeologists to view them and shortly reported that they were the "oldest, best preserved" petroglyphs in southern Utah. Now they won't allow anyone to go view them (not even me). I have come across others as well, but now I don't dispell their location in fear that I may never get to go back and view them. We found some petro's in Zion during a SAR exercise about 40' up from the canyon floor. They were later called "Brown's Petroglyphs". The only to get a good view is to rappel 60' from the top though.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 2, 2008 11:59 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Bo ?

Yes, I understand! I was just thinking about Snow Canyon the other day! For me, the grass ALWAYS looks greener on the "other side of the fence" SORT of thing. I love Snow Canyon, it is so beautiful! We always hear about the wave ... The Wave! and Paria and Kolob and
Zion & Bryce! But, Snow Canyon remains "tucked away" as a very special place. Thanks for sharing THIS incredible information!!!

Funny you should mention "Brown's Petros!"
In Gila County of AZ, the highest point is
Brown's Peak, and there's a cave south of there called "Brown's Cave," where several
ancient artifacts and pottery pieces were found, sometime back in the 1970s. Awesome!

bobeck

bobeck - Jan 5, 2008 10:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bo ?

They were named after the ranger, Scott Brown, who saw them as he was being lowered to the ground from the top. Scott Brown is now the Chief Ranger at Devils Tower.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 5, 2008 11:24 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Bo ?

Didn't know that, thanks for the information!
I'm still trying to connect the dots! There's
some incredible people that come out of that
Las Vegas area! Kind of makes me want to go live in Henderson with my brother! I didn't know that Zion NP is only 170 miles away from Henderson, NV. I suppose you have a lot of visitors coming in from Vegas. Take care!!!

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Jan 24, 2008 6:08 am - Voted 10/10

I've Added This ...

I've added this superior image to the custom object Worth Another Look II. If that's a problem, let me know. BTW: I have you listed as photographer. I assume someone else took the image? I'd like to properly recognize them, if so. --mark d.

bobeck

bobeck - Jan 24, 2008 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I've Added This ...

Hi Mark. Not a problem. The shot was taken by Todd Goss, author of "Rock Climbs of Southwest Utah" published by Sharp End Publishing. Todd Goss is also owner of the company, "Paragon Climbing and Adventures" located here in St. George Utah. I also have worked for Todd as an instructor. He took the photo using a medium format camera. It was taken in the wee morning hours on a winter day at a local crag called "The Green valley Gap" on a climb named "Moral Dilemma", 5.11b.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jan 31, 2008 11:19 am - Voted 10/10

I don't know what...

to say about this pic, I cannot believe I have not seen it for so long! Amazing colors, gorgeous and pristine line, great climber movement. All around incredible photo, worthy of the mags.

Dan

bobeck

bobeck - Jan 31, 2008 11:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I don't know what...

Thanks Dan. All of the credit goes to Todd Goss; author of "Rock Climbs of Southern Utah and the Arizona Strip" published by Sharp End Publishing (Fred and Heidi Knapp). Todd needed some good photos for the first edition of the book. We went out on a january day and I volunteered to do some climbing and posing for this shot that he had scoped out earlier on. He shot several with a 35mm and several with his medium format. The picture turned out very beautiful, and he has many, many more equally as beautiful!

Viewing: 1-12 of 12