Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.54580°N / 118.84276°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11561 ft / 3524 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Fall colors McGee Creek
Fall colors McGee Creek
Mt. Aggie is one of the peaks in the Convict Lake/McGee Creek area of the Eastern Sierra. These mountains are composed of some of the oldest metamorphic rock in the range. Much of this colorful rock is rotten and unstable due to all the ancient transformations it has been through. Nearby Mt. Morrison and The Great White Fang are well known for their loose tedious rock.
Mt. Aggie is a pretty simple class 2 scramble from all sides and can easily be done in less than a day. Staying on the ridgelines will probably save you from scree slopes.
There are outstanding views of Mt. Morrison and The Great White Fang to the north and west and south to the peaks over the McGee Creek drainage.

Getting There

 
Over McGee Creek canyon south from Mt. Aggie
South over McGee Creek canyon from Mt. Aggie
From the north: From the junction of Hwy 395 and Hwy. 120 go south 30 miles to the road to Convict Lake and turn right. Go 2.2 miles to the parking area. Scramble south a few hundred feet up a moraine and into the canyon between Mt. Morrison and McGee Mtn.. Go a few miles up to the ridge between McGee Mtn. and Mt. Aggie. Take the northeast ridge of Mt. Aggie to the north summit. Scramble the class 3 north summit and continue south another .4 miles to the main summit.
From the south: From Bishop go 29 miles north, pass Tom's Place and turn left on the Mc Gee Creek road. Go 4 miles and park by the Upper McGee Creek campground. Follow the McGee Creek Trail southwest for .5 miles and break off directly up the sagebrush slope curving to the left where the slope eases and take the east ridge to the class 3 north summit, continue on to the main summit to the south.

Red Tape

 
Mt. Baldwin, 12,615   and Great White Fang, 12,240   from Mt. Aggie
Mt. Baldwin and  White Fang from Mt. Aggie
This is a day hike in the John Muir Wilderness and no permits are required.

Camping

 
Mt. Morrison, 12,268   from Mt. Aggie
Mt. Morrison from Mt. Aggie

Convict Lake campground 2.2 miles in on the Convict Lake Road at 7,600'
McGee Creek campground 2 miles in on the McGee Creek Road to the left at 7,500'
Upper McGee Creek campground 4 miles in at 8,000'.

Current weather and 5 day forecast for Mammoth Lakes area.

 
Fall colors McGee Creek
 
For current weather and forecast click here.