Mount Aix Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 26 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

DeanUntitled Comment

Nice to see you put this one up. Mt. Aix is also referred to as Mt. Aches by some of the locals.
Posted Jun 13, 2004 6:43 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks for the vote. I read that in a trip report I found on the internet. My quads understand this morning.
Posted Jun 13, 2004 7:10 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Very nice page. Looks like a fun hike.

Posted Jun 13, 2004 8:11 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice one Brian.

Great photos!
Posted Jun 13, 2004 9:25 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks!
Posted Jun 13, 2004 9:38 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Excellent work as always. However, it would be nice to see a couple more summit views of Ranier.

Posted Jun 13, 2004 9:40 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

I think the chipmunk stole the show. Good page!
Posted Jun 13, 2004 11:33 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Ha ha. Thanks.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 12:06 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Very good an informative!
Posted Jun 14, 2004 4:11 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Another great page Brian. I'm hoping to get up Aix this year, and am thinking about next weekend. My healing leg needs a 4000-foot workout! Aix is the 39th most prominent peak in Washington with 3,286 feet of prominence, so it's definitely on my list! -Bob
Posted Jun 14, 2004 11:20 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Good info, Bob. I'll work that into the page like I did with Lemei Rock when you pointed that out to me.

Thanks for the vote! Have fun on the hike. Should be even more melted out by next weekend.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 5:59 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Indeed it should be more melted out if the forecast is even close to accurate. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the good info.

Bob
Posted Jun 15, 2004 2:28 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Very nice. Who needs Kaleetan when you can put up Aix?

So, I've heard the pronunciation for this peak a couple of different ways.

I've always pronounced it like "eye" (a and x being silent) but I've heard others pronounce it in a way rhyming with "breaks" sans the b and the r, of course. How do you pronounce it? I'll check in with some people who are in the know regarding this. Maybe they even know the origin of the name.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 5:45 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

You know I was wondering the same thing as I hiked Saturday. I have never heard it pronounced before so I have no idea. I've read though that locals call it Mt. Aches regarding the elevation gain on it so figured it was pronouned the same way. Let me know what you find out though.

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 6:01 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

WA guru John Roper says he has always referred to it as "Ikes." This is halfway between my "eye" and your "aches."

If you note in Brown Beckey (at least it's in my old copy), Fred B says, "The 1885 map of the Washington Territory shows 'Mt. Aiks' listed at 7,623 ft near its correct location; but the 1856 map places it closely NE of Naches Pass. The possibility exists the name was transposed from 'Mt. Ikes.' " Fred in the 1979 Second Printing of 1st Edition makes no mention of the origin of "Aix" or "Ikes." It's obviously based on some person's name. Maybe Fred elaborates in the newer editions.

Seems like you should make some comment about pronunciation on the Main Page and/or supply the Beckey info I've given above.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 6:32 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Will do tonight, thanks. Bob Bolton also gave me some info to incorporate. I've got the newest brown Beckey's and it mentioned nothing about the name or pronunciation. The other book I put on the book page I have as well and it mentioned nothing about it either. I did an internet search too and found nothing. A little mystery here.

Thanks much for the info. Appreciate it.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 7:53 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Check to see if Beckey might have incorporated the "Aiks" and "Ikes" info into a footnote. Look for a bold superscript number somewhere in the Mt. Aix entry. He could have moved the info to the footnotes section.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 8:52 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Good stuff.
Posted Jun 14, 2004 6:23 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks! Appreciate the vote.
Posted Jun 15, 2004 2:37 am