Mount Cammerer Fire Tower from Davenport Gap

Mount Cammerer Fire Tower from Davenport Gap

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.77045°N / 83.11155°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Difficulty: Straightforward Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Mount Cammerer Fire tower can be hiked to from many directions and trails.  On Mount Cammerer SP Page under "getting there" four of these options are described.  This is good, but omits what I believe is the most straightforward way to get to the tower.

Getting There

Coming from a few hours east in NC I used interstate 40, taking exit 451 in TN (the first exit after crossing the state line).  After exiting I-40 you cross the Pigeon River and take a left onto the Waterville Rd and stay on for about 3.6 miles and take a right onto Mt. Sterling Rd.  To simplify I placed Davenport Gap, Tennessee 37722 into Google Maps and it took me to the Appalachian Trail (AT) crossing.

Route Description

From Davenport gap go South on the AT.  Continue on the AT for for approximately 5.3 miles.  Early in this section you pass the Davenport Gap Trail Shelter.  Later in this section, maybe around 4 to 5 miles in there's a rock outcropping with some decent views.  The trail gains approximately 2,900' in this section.  

After hiking approximately 5.3 miles on the AT you will reach a spur to the fire tower on the right hand side.  This spur lasts only about 0.6 miles until it reaches the fire tower.  This section is relatively flat, losing about 40'.  NOTE: I've provided the route from my hike.  It includes continuing south on the AT to Sunup Knob, this isn't necessary in reaching the tower.

Mount Cammerer Fire Tower 3/22/2020
Mount Cammerer Fire Tower 3/22/2020

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.