Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00961°N / 115.00763°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 17, 2009
Activities Activities: Scrambling

Mt. Cramer Scramble

Gary and I scrambled Mount Cramer on a four day backpacking trip through the Sawtooth Mountains. We started from the lower Hell Roaring Lake trailhead and hiked to Imogene then up to Lake 8733 on day one. On the second day we scrambled Cramer. It was a fun route.

We found the climbers trail from near Lake 8733 and followed it up to grass and slabs above. There were some cairns to keep us on the easiest terrain though it's not hard to get to the ridge top. From there we walked slabs until we found broken up talus. Higher still were boulders.

We stayed just right of one round snow patch just under the summit. The only problem was shifting boulders. No exposure made for a fun easy scramble. At an easy pace we took just under two hours from Lake 8733 to the summit. Afternoons were cloudy but we were on top by 9:00 am and it was mostly clear. Great views all around.

The rest of our trip took us around Cramer to Redfish Lake. We had views of the peak from most angles. The best look is from Cramer Divide and in the Cramer moraine as that side of the summit is nearly vertical.

My entire four day report with numerous photos is at: Sawtooth Mountains Traverse Report

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Smoove910

Smoove910 - Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Hoping to do the same climb to Cramer this weekend. Do you happen to know if there's any fish in Lake 8733? Hoping to enjoy some fresh fish if there is. Thanks for sharing your journey, looks like a good time!

Cheers,
Kris

jkuresman

jkuresman - Sep 17, 2009 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

I can't say for sure but we did pass one group that had been up there fishing and another group fishing during our stay. I'd bring along the pole.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount CramerTrip Reports