Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.47723°S / 34.22241°E
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 6873 ft / 2095 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Domue is the highest point in Tete province. It sits within a couple of kilometers of the Mozambique/Malawi border. It rises impressively out of the much flatter platuea that makes up Angonia district. At present the route to the top is situated on the northern slope. However, if you had the equipment and the time, the south side could make for some real fun climbing.

Getting There

From Tete, head east towards Zobue for about 70km. Before you reach Zobue you will reach a cross roads where you will turn north and head towards Lilongwe, Malawi for about 150km. When you reach the border post you will need to cross onto the malawi side and take an immediate left onto a dirt road that will lead you out to the base of the mountain. Obviously, if you are in Lilongwe, you will head south to the border post and take a right onto the dirt road. It is possible if you don't have private transport to take a bike taxi out to the mountian. Its a long ways (15km) on this dirt road so the bike taxi really speads things up. A bike taxi will cost you between 250-500 metacais novo familia depending on your bargaining skills. Once you are at the base of the mountain, its about 3-4hrs to the top.

Red Tape

Remarkably, little red tap. There are no traditional ceramonies or special people to pay off. The only problems are likely to be at the boarder post. If your taking the bike taxis just talk to one of the gaurds and you can cut through a soccer field and avoid the whole mess of entering and exiting Malawi.

Camping

You could defiantly camp over night here if you wanted. There was water and the people were very friendly however, the vast majority near the mountain only spoke dialect so hand signals are the main form of communication.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MozambiqueMountains & Rocks
 
Mozambique High PointsMountains & Rocks