Mount Elbrus Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 21 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Good luck on the revamp. I am sure you will do a good job. Cheers William
Posted Jun 8, 2005 9:57 am

CoraxUntitled Comment

Corax

A very important mountain - a worthy page.

Glad to see the page has changed so much and all to the better.

Excellent.

Posted Jun 9, 2005 4:21 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Nice make-over, Scott. Thanks for "adopting" this very important summit for SP. Proof read your text for typos. Beautifully done.
Posted Jun 10, 2005 5:45 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Thanks for the tip on the typos. I'll look over it carefully.
Posted Jun 10, 2005 6:20 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Thanks for the tip. I added the elevation gain to the route page. I'll try and figure out the distance and add that.
Posted Jun 10, 2005 6:43 pm

NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

This has got to be the best concise guide to Elbrus around! Super page, Scott. This 7-summit is in good hands.
Posted Jun 11, 2005 8:11 pm

Trevor SimmonsUntitled Comment

Trevor Simmons

wow
Posted Jun 12, 2005 2:34 am

dadndaveUntitled Comment

dadndave

Nice work Scott, a realistic appraisal of what's invoved in getting to, and then ascending the mountain. Thanks
Posted Jun 12, 2005 6:00 am

michaelhaifaUntitled Comment

michaelhaifa

Scott,

First of all I had a great time reading your Elbrus Report. Very interesting and... freezing, almost felt it reading your story. Hope you will make it to the summit some day.

Your pictures of Donguz-Orun and Nakra-Tau (mountain on the right ) reminded me of this fantastic scenary. It is funny, but Donguz-Orun in the local dialect means "mountain above the pigs lake", very strange name indeed and I couldn't find out about it's origin. Obviously it is from Georgia, locals there couldn't explain anything either. There is an interesting story by Michail Hergiani who climbed this wall and finally the " ice hat " on it's summit. Unfortunately it is not translated. From the South, Donguz is an easy climb, similar to Elbrus, just snow and ice.

Michael
Posted Jun 18, 2005 6:43 pm

tizianaUntitled Comment

tiziana

Bravo Scott!!
Posted Aug 11, 2005 1:06 pm

James CUntitled Comment

James C

Great page, wow 48 climbers died in 2004, thats crazy, talk about a decieving mountain
Posted Aug 13, 2005 12:54 pm

John ClimberUntitled Comment

John Climber

Well done. Very complete.
Posted Aug 15, 2005 5:37 pm

Claude MauguierUntitled Comment

Excellent informative work !
Posted Aug 17, 2005 4:22 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Everything I needed to know about Elbrus. Great page, exactly what it should be. Thanks.
Posted Dec 2, 2005 10:25 pm

Tomek LodowyUntitled Comment

Tomek Lodowy

Wondeful page , I hope to climb the peak next summer :-)
Posted Dec 17, 2005 11:02 am

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Nice page Scott. I'm planning to climb Elbrus and I'm currently researching guide services. You should consider adding a section for this with links, as has been done on some other pages. Even if you don't currently have all of the details, people can add info and comments to it over time.

Cheers,

George
Posted Jan 5, 2006 6:19 pm

bukhequipment

Hi all,
the most useful (in my opinion) recommended equipment list is here: http://www.ersh.sp.ru/usefulinfo/equip-elbrus.html
(tested by myself:)
Posted Mar 30, 2009 3:20 am

John ClimberExcellent

John Climber

Thanks Scott for your effords on this page. I'm using it intensively. :-)
Posted Jan 7, 2010 5:31 pm

BLongSki Video from North Elbrus

BLong

Here is a video I shot and edited from our trip to the North Slopes of Elbrus this past summer:

Hope you enjoy it!
Bryan
Posted Sep 21, 2012 1:20 pm

sabrinbwsnowcat and hut info

sabrinbw

nice page and useful updates. Also useful to mention that (1) there are snowcats that will bring you to 4500 m, which all of the guided trips were doing. a bit disconcerting when you are on foot and i wonder whether this is a valid way to summit. but i'm sure you can hire a ride if you are so compelled. and (2) the diesel hut is 500 roubles / night and holds about 50 people and includes usage of their gas stoves and they have some pots and tea kettles for common use. it's useful to note that it's sometimes hard to get a spot on the stoves, especially when there are large guided groups there, so you may consider bringing your own. and there is no booking the huts, it seems to be a first come, first serve basis. hope that helps!
Posted Jul 9, 2013 6:44 am