Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.12332°N / 113.94676°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7750 ft / 2362 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

 
Grizzly
 

Mount Galwey is just one of two scrambles in Waterton Lakes National Park that Kane has listed as difficult in his scrambles guide book for the Canadian Rockies. The other is Buchanan Peak. The difficulty regarding Buchanan is actually the descent of Carthew along the traverse which I concur with. In comparison, the 5 seconds of difficulty associated with Mount Galwey is little more than a few traverse moves on good ledges. Otherwise this scramble is little more than a hike. Despite the lack of challenges, Mount Galwey is a worthwhile scramble, conveniently located directly across from the Crandell campground in Waterton Lakes NP. On our visit in July, we witnessed two grizzlies, a black bear, a wolf and a mountain lion on the opposing slope to Crandell campground (the same slope under Mount Galwey). The wildflowers are also abundant in July. Mount Galwey was named after a British astronomer.

Getting There

Drive through the gates of Waterton Lakes National Park and turn right onto Red Rock Parkway. Travel approximately 8kms to Coppermine Creek trailhead on the right (just past Crandell Campground). A trail will run up the hill in front of you (north) and is well trodden all the way to the west ridge of Mount Galwey.

When to Climb

Waterton’s peaks are quite lower elevation than scrambles further north in the Canadian Rockies. You can get started as early as late May for peaks like Mount Galwey. In July, there was no snow or running water en route.

Red Tape

You will need a national park pass or pay a day use fee to enter Waterton Lakes National Park. If spending the night, the Crandell campground is right across the Red Rock Parkway from the objective, $22 per night.

External Links

Most inclusive first-hand knowledge and accounts of Canadian Rockies Scrambles on the Internet

Waterton Lakes National Park, Parks Canada

Best Breakfast/Lunch in Waterton: WOW Wieners of Waterton, as of 2012, my favorite breakfast/lunch spot. Fresh is the key word for everything they serve. The Lowe brothers offer it up with a smile and passion as well, unusual treat in a resort town.