Viewing: 21-35 of 35 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

SaintgrizzlyUntitled Comment

Saintgrizzly

Good job, Barry!
Posted Jun 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Peak FreakUntitled Comment

Peak Freak

Thanks for featuring me in the signature pic!
Posted Jun 11, 2005 3:13 am

noahUntitled Comment

noah

nice work
Posted Jun 13, 2005 7:18 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Good looking page with nice snowy pix. Especially liked the corniced summit oversize picture at the bottom of the page.
Posted Jun 13, 2005 8:39 pm

Rick BUntitled Comment

Rick B

Good page, I'm going there next week :-)
Posted Sep 22, 2005 7:05 am

dadndaveUntitled Comment

dadndave

G'day rbi,

Attm just transferred this page to me and we desperately need some better options for a signature photo. (No offense to Peak Freak). I can't get down there for quite a few months at the earliest so If you do get a nice summit shot or another good perspective, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Cheers
Posted Sep 24, 2005 5:47 am

Joerg MarretschUntitled Comment

Joerg Marretsch

Thanks for information!
Posted Nov 5, 2005 11:07 am

dadndaveUntitled Comment

dadndave

Thanks for checking the Kosciusko page. It is actually the work of other SP members, not mine. I'm just looking after the page to share the load. I am hoping to improve the page further in the coming months.
Posted Nov 7, 2005 7:04 am

Claude MauguierUntitled Comment

Highly instructive and interesting page..congratulations ! How strange...: the local native name "Tar" is the same in old southern celtic dialects to describe a "round hill among water streams"...but what about "Gen" and "Gil"...? Were the natives wearing kilts and playing bagpipes...:-)))) ?? Cheers
Posted Dec 24, 2005 5:28 am

dadndaveUntitled Comment

dadndave

G'day Claude. I actually have no idea what the aboriginal name Tar gan Gil means. I I know some of the meanings in tha area like "Lake Cootapatamba" (Where the eagles drink) but I have never heard an explanation of the peak name. Unfortunately it is not as simple as merely asking an aboriginal person because there are nine major language groups and numerous dielects among these. I will try to find out and will post it on the page if I can.
Posted Jan 6, 2006 10:41 pm

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

Thanks for the great page on your highest point- I learned something. I've always heard about people climbing Cook in NZ- now I know about Kosciusko.
Posted Jan 14, 2006 6:23 pm

dadndaveUntitled Comment

dadndave

THanks Sean, but I should point out that most of the work was done by other SP members, particularly attm who spruced it up quite a bit before I adopted it. I see you've been busy too!
Posted Jan 15, 2006 8:43 pm

cho_mikKosciuszko, Pawel

cho_mik

Please, correct the names. It should be Kosciuszko, not Kosciusko. And Strzelecki's name was Pawel, not Paul. Maybe it is a good idea to add a pronunciation, becouse not a single person I met was able to say it acceptable way.
Posted Apr 15, 2006 4:04 pm

dadndaveRe: Kosciuszko, Pawel

dadndave

Thanks for the suggestion. I will amend the text to include the original spelling. The mountain was originally spelt the same as the Polish saint but became corrupted over the years. There has been considerable debate about restoring the original spelling. Don't worry, Australians are well aware of the origin of the name. Strzelecki did quite a lot of exploration in Australia and has a number of geographical features named after him, for instance the Strzelecki Desert. "Paul" is simply the english translation of "Pawel" Here The mountain's name is pronounced Koz-ee-os-ko with the emphasis on the "os". Strzelecki is pronounced Stra-less-kee by Australians with the emphasis on the "less" I doubt if either would be good Polish.
Posted Apr 20, 2006 2:26 am

dadndaveRe: Kosciuszko, Pawel

dadndave

I have now changed the name of the page to reflect the fact that the original (polish) spelling has now, once again become the official spelling.
Posted Sep 20, 2010 11:10 pm