Mount Mansfield Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 205
ToqWatts

ToqWatts - Aug 3, 2023 8:28 am Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2023

Tough hike   Sucess!

Wet and gloomy conditions.

Dundeel

Dundeel - Sep 19, 2022 8:59 am Date Climbed: Sep 9, 2022

Vermont Highpointing  Sucess!

Hiked from the toll road. Lots of other hikers. State highpoint #21.

pattyd82ab - Sep 8, 2022 7:54 am Date Climbed: Sep 6, 2022

Mansfield in the rain.  Sucess!

Started at Underhill State Park and climbed the sunset ridge trail to the summit. Trails were wet and slippery from the few days of rain prior, but not too bad considering. Along the way, was told that a high school student was missing from his group. Upon summiting, found a school faculty member who was contacting rescue to help find him. Diverted my path to head back down using a different trail in order to see if I could find him while others search other trails. Canyon N trail west bound in the rain was SKETCHY and not recommended. Lucky, the kid was not on this trail. Made it to Halfway House Trail for my decent. I found this trail to be very enjoyable given the conditions. I would highly recommend this one for a poor weather decent given that it is well protected for most of it and has ample foot and hand holds. The student was eventually found on the long trail, wet but good. Happy ending for all.

zacharydebruine - Jul 29, 2022 3:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2017

Hell Brook Trail - gnarly!  Sucess!

Scrambled up via the Hell Brook Trail and ran down via the Long Trail. Hell Brook Trial was fun and gnarly!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1127208156

admiralcapn

admiralcapn - Feb 27, 2022 7:53 pm Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2015

HP #11  Sucess!

Great hike up; quick romp down as an electrical storm was swiftly approaching!

Sjboatwright

Sjboatwright - Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am

Steep and Worthy  Sucess!

A short, steep and challenging climb ends in some of the most gorgeous views in the Green Mountains. I watched a storm roll on in at a distance and it made my day.

Isaiah_Asher - Nov 20, 2021 5:36 pm Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2021

Highpoint #1!  Sucess!

Beautiful fall hike via the Long Trail.
It’s pretty rocky and muddy, so I would definitely advise some ankle support.
This is my first high point; I truly can’t wait to see the adventure ahead of knocking out the other states!
Onward.

kteichert

kteichert - Aug 21, 2021 12:19 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2021

HP #45  Sucess!

Honestly, my favorite peak of the trip. Having done Mount Marcy in the morning, and then making the drive to this peak by the late afternoon, I severely underestimated what it would take to summit this mountain. From google maps, I could see there was a road to the summit ridge, so I didn’t think it would be that difficult of a hike. But I got to the east side of the peak, at the ski resort, after a breathtaking drive from Smuggler’s Notch to Stowe Mountain Resort. I hadn’t eaten much, and had little time to make the summit before sunset. So I hoofed it up the access road under the ski lift. Took that all the way to the Cliff trail, where my dog and I enjoyed that amazing scramble to the summit ridge. Absolutely incredible trail, rocks and vista. Met a guy up on the summit that told me about Katahdin and the difficulties I might encounter, and decided I wasn’t going to make a summit attempt of Katahdin on this trip. But Mount Mansfield was amazing!

MW

MW - Jul 6, 2021 11:37 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2018

Highpoint #5  Sucess!

Hiked from Smuggler's Notch campground after camping there. Late start as I chose to wait out the rain, so trails were quite wet. Took Hazelton trail up, Long trail over the ridge and back down to the ski resort. Awesome views above treeline, the mile long section on the ridge is fantastic. Hot day.

Made a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMthm3gg81U

PaHiker

PaHiker - Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2019

Way too crowded  Sucess!

Summit trail was really crowded. Apparently there are "summit police" up there, got chased off after about 10 minutes because they felt it was too crowded.

jake_the_snake

jake_the_snake - Jun 8, 2020 8:23 am Date Climbed: Feb 1, 2018

Mansfield Bushwhack  Sucess!

Missed the Long Trail in fresh snow, essentially bushwhacked all the way to the top, then came down via Stowe groomers.

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 2, 2019 11:59 am Date Climbed: Aug 29, 2019

Via Longs Trail  Sucess!

Longs Trail to summit - 2.3 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes of hiking time, rising on average over 1200 vertical feet per mile for a total of 2793 vertical feet of gain – a short hike, but it was all steep. Used the Cliff Trail/Gondola to descend.

VTascender

VTascender - Dec 26, 2018 2:54 pm Date Climbed: Dec 24, 2018

Hard lumpy crust with lots of ice  Sucess!

Slow going, and the snowfall reduced visibility to about 500 feet at the summit. Not my favorite trip up Mansfield, but we made it!

billydheyhey

billydheyhey - Nov 19, 2018 9:38 am Date Climbed: Sep 8, 2013

HP #4!  Sucess!

Good gradual day hike... very green. There is no summit marker, but you'll know when you're there. Very neat looking down on all the green-ness of the green mountain state from the summit!

Wallylongridge

Wallylongridge - Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2018

HP #13  Sucess!

A nice Sunny day on top of the peak.

McCannster

McCannster - Oct 8, 2018 7:24 am Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2018

#38  Sucess!

Bad weather day. Up Laura Cowles Trail, down Sunset Ridge. About 2 hrs 20 mins car to car from Underhill State Park, in bleak conditions. Would like to re-do when weather is nice.

VTascender

VTascender - Jun 22, 2018 5:29 pm Date Climbed: Jun 13, 2018

Great day on Halfway House Trail  Sucess!

Hiked up Mansfield via Halfway House trail with my best man a few days before the wedding.

marciamallow

marciamallow - May 26, 2018 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2011

HP #19  Sucess!

Super Cold!!!!! Rime ice was all over the rocks this time of year already so dress appropriately. I took the Stowe gondola to top and hiked about a mile to the summit

NonaRider

NonaRider - Mar 29, 2018 11:14 am Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2012

Peak #26 [NonaRider]  Sucess!

[Date Approximate]

Walkoutnow

Walkoutnow - Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm Date Climbed: Nov 20, 2017

HP #30  Sucess!

Dumping snow all day. Went up Profanity trail via Long trail. Extra .6 RT due to road being closed. Post-holing knee deep at times up on Profanity and complete whiteout on top. Beautiful winter wonderland... bit more work though with conditions and all the fresh powder. Good times

Viewing: 1-20 of 205
Return to 'Mount Mansfield' main page