Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.25480°N / 71.3213°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 14, 2003
It was my first trip to the White Mountains and I'll definately be going back. I made the ascent via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and had a great time with some scrambling. I also climbed Mt. Monroe and the views from the summit were amazing. Respect the weather though cause it snowed on our descent. I started the ascent with a buddy at about 9 a.m. which was a little later than we planned. The summit temperature was 41 degrees F. The average winds for the day were about 45mph. The beginning to the trail through the woods was spectacular with many crossings of the Ammonoosuc River and it's tributaries. After a steady climb we reached the Gem Pool. The cascade was beautiful and I don't think you're supposed to drink it but, I did, and the water was wonderfully refreshing. Then the steep part of the ascent begins. The trail makes a serious climb towards the col and it continues on very steeply until the tree line. Many more brook crossings are encountered and there is some ledge scrambling which was lots of fun. Once above treeline it is only a few hundred yards up to the Lake of Clouds Hut which was quite a relief for us. Inside there was lots of information and food. After taking a drink break we then ascended Mt. Monroe, via the Crawford Path. It was a fun little scramble that took about a half of an hour from the hut. Mount Monroe is my favorite of the Presidential peaks because of its solitude and beauty. I loved it and will climb it many times in the future.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount MonroeTrip Reports