Mount Morgan (N) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 11, 2003 4:55 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

This is an interesting peak from an etymology standpoint. The other Mt. Morgan located about ten miles south was named for a member of the Wheeler Survey Party. It doesn't seem likely this was named for the same person (USGS members haven't been that greedy), but I couldn't find any info on who it is named for. My guess is that it was named for J.P. Morgan, a hugely successful banker in the late 1870s who helped finance many of the railroad entities (and the the survey parties that scouted the Sierra for routes, naming peaks along the way). Note that the Big Four (railroad barons) were immortilized a few miles to the south in Mts. Stanford, Huntington, Crocker and Hopkins.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 11, 2003 5:05 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

In summer, the easiest route is probably the Southeast Slope from Davis Lake, rated class 2. It is a big sand slog however, and best left for the descent. A traverse from Mt. Stanford is a class 3 classic, an enjoyable traverse on a fine-edged ridge with great views.

The climb from McGee Canyon has been described alternately as either classic or tedious slog on loose rock, depending on the author.

ridgeard3230 - Aug 3, 2008 1:12 pm - Hasn't voted

location

I think the location will be very helpful for anyone with a GPS.
37.511322
118.779849

ridgeard3230 - Sep 19, 2008 3:51 pm - Hasn't voted

route description

From the pack station gate on Mcgee Creek road we went back .04 miles to the parking area. There is a trail there but no signage. We took the trail to the creek and along the barbed wire fence we found a log there to cross the creek.
Climb up to the clearing and head south near the tree line for Aprox. 1/2 mile to the canyon on you left. This is the drainage you want to ascend
Note that there is a trail but it is very overgrown and lots of bushwacking is necessary.

fogey - Jul 16, 2011 1:48 am - Hasn't voted

Davis Lake route

From Davis Lake, the descent described in Bob Burd's trip report is probably the best ascent route as well. There is a use trail of sorts that works its way NW from the flats at the south end of the west arm of the lake, through the trees to the sand slope Bob describes. We didn't know where to start and bushwhacked up farther north along the lake shore--not recommended.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount Morgan (N)' main page