Mount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak

Mount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.63187°N / 106.23865°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The ridge to Jones Pk from the summit of PT 13,712The ridge to Jones Pk from the summit of PT 13,712.

This link-up combines Mount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak into one outing. This page describes the route starting with Mount Shavano, but it can easily be reversed to start with Jones Peak.

Getting There

Start at the Shavano/Tabeguache Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 3, 9.8 miles (round trip), 5420 feet of elevation gain.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2
Purple = Class 3
Mount Shavano

From the Colorado Trail trailhead sign, follow the trail approx. 0.1 mile to the Colorado Trail. Turn right and hike along the Colorado Trail for approx. 0.3 miles to the sign for the Mount Shavano Trail. Turn left onto the Mount Shavano Trail. Follow the Mount Shavano Trail for about 3.5 miles to the saddle between 16,360 foot "Esprit Point" to the south and Mount Shavano to the north. Turn north and follow a fainter trail to the summit of Mount Shavano.
Tabeguache Peak as seen while descending Mount Shavano towards the saddle


From the summit of Mount Shavano, continue northwest on Mount Shavano's ridge to the saddle between Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak. From the saddle, hike the 0.3 miles or so up to Tabeguache Peak's summit and then return to the saddle between Tabeguache Peak and Mount Shavano. The good news is that from here you do not need to go up and over Mount Shavano to return to the trailhead. Instead, descend to the saddle between Mount Shavano and Point 13,712 then ascend the 332 feet of prominence to the summit of Point 13,712.
View of the ridge from Point 13,712 to Jones Peak


The route gets more interesting on the ridge between Point 13,712 and Jones Peak. The ridge is class 3 in spots, with only one or two tricky sections. Follow the 0.7 mile ridge to the summit of Jones Peak.
Shavano Lake


From the summit of Jones Peak descend (surf) the loose scree down to Shavano Lake. Take a well-deserved rest at the lake. To get back to the trail from the lake you must traverse the hillside, trying to maintain an elevation of 11,900 feet. The route will take you past small cliffs and through occasional tree stands before intersecting the Mount Shavano Trail at 11,900 feet. Be careful not to lose elevation during this bushwack back to the trail or you will miss the trail.

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail profile of Mount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak


Map
Mount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak from the Shavano/Tabeguache TrailheadMount Shavano, Tabeguache Peak, Point 13,712, and Jones Peak from the Shavano/Tabeguache TH.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.