Mount Vida Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
hgrapid

hgrapid - Nov 2, 2009 4:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work

Nice work on this page. You seem to be hitting a lot of peaks in No. California. I am fortunate to have so many accessible peaks in my immediate area. Perhaps we can get a hike in next spring or summer. I have been planning to hike two 9400 ft peaks in the Pine Nut Mountains of Nevada southeast of Carson City. These mountains are rarely climbed despite their immensity, because people choose the security of mountain passes and easy trails in the northern Sierras instead.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Nov 10, 2009 10:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work

Thanks much! I would definitely be game to hit some peaks next season. I have a few cool ones up here that I want to hit, but I am game to tackle anything in NV too. Reno is only 4 hours from Shasta. Sorry it took me a little while to get back. The work has been insanely busy lately.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Nov 2, 2009 10:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Northern Warners

I've also wondered about the Drake-Light Peak cluster, I have yet to find a geology book that sufficiently describes the formation of those peaks. On a topo it looks like they sit on the south end of Abert Rim, albeit just barely. To make matters more confusing these peaks are right where Abert Rim, Lynchs Rim and the Warner blocks all meet up. I'm sure someone knows the geologic history behind those mountains, but for now I guess I'll be calling the Drake cluster the Northern Warner Mountains, but yeah it doesnt sit right.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Northern Warners

I agree it is sort of an ambiguous area. While there are certainly connections to the Warners, I am just not convinced that they are a part of the range: no fault block, no escarpments, no connection to alkali lakes. Perhaps they are though. I would love a definitive answer. By the way, the long ago promised Warners page is now being written and will be posted soon. I wanted to nail Vida and have some representation of that part of the Warners before I completed the page. Now that that is done, I am ready to finish it.

calebEOC

calebEOC - May 18, 2011 12:50 am - Voted 10/10

Lake Annie Mountain

Lake Annie Mountain sits just a little to the east of Mount Vida, do you have any pictures of it? It really sticks out on a topo map, looks pretty cliffy. Any information on the mountain and the lake sitting beside it?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 18, 2011 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lake Annie Mountain

I have not seen it, nor do I have pictures of it, unfortunately. Looking at Google Earth, it does not look particularly cliffy, more steep sided slopes of sediment. I could be wrong though. The real catch for that area is Mount Bidwell. It is on my list, but Dusenberry Peak is my next Warners summit. Are you thinking of heading down that way?

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Mount Vida' main page