Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.22463°N / 116.10987°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 9333 ft / 2845 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Mount Whymper in the Canadian...From the highway (south)

Mount Whymper from the south.From the south

Overview

Mount WhymperFrom the highway

Mount Whymper is located immediately north of Vermilion Pass in Kootenay National Park, British Columbia. It is a beautiful peak, but does not have any established technical climbing routes. Because there is virtually no approach and its routes are moderate scrambles, it is a good summit to keep in mind for less than perfect conditions.

The mountain was originally named Mount Lefroy in 1858, but was renamed for famous mountaineer Edward Whymper during his visit to the area in 1901.

The first ascent was in 1901 by Edward Whymper with guides: J. Bossoney, C. Kaufmann, C. Klucker, J. Pollinger.


Getting There

View of Highway 93 from Mount...View down to highway

Kootenay National Park is about 900 km east of Vancouver and 170 km west of Calgary.

Kootenay National Park Access Information

Vermilion Pass is on Highway 93 South (AKA Kootenay Parkway) between Castle Junction and Radium Hot Springs within the Park

Mount Whymper rises directly above the pass on the north side.

Routes

The mountain is most often ascended from Vermilion Pass via the east and south slopes to the west ridge then to the summit. Climbing is not difficult and many variations are possible.

Trip Report with photos. (Better conditions than shown in my photos below).


The Southeast Route. a steeper, more direct, and less certain route goes directly up the large gully / avalanche chute on the southeast side of the mountain.

Scrambling on Mount Whymper


Mount Whymper, West Ridge
Mount Whymper, West Ridge
Mount Whymper, West Ridge
One of many scenic diversions...



Red Tape

Kootenay National Park has a Voluntary Safety Registration program.

A Wilderness Pass is required for back country camping within the Park.

Camping & Accommodations

Camping & Accommodations

Mountain Conditions

Current Weather

Avalanche Bulletin (Seasonal)

Park Warden Contact Info

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kootenay National ParkMountains & Rocks