Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.01580°N / 9.30190°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5997 ft / 1828 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Bruncu Spina photo_id=97378

Bruncu Spina is Sardinia / Sardegna’s second highest mountain. It is located in the Gennargentu Mountain Range near the centre of the island almost directly on 40° eastern latitude. It is the only mountain on Sardinia which boasts a ski lift and two (!!) downhill courses. At 1828m, however, it is not high enough to offer secure ski conditions so that the number of days per year on which you can actually ski up there is limited. Bruncu Spina is the northernmost summit of the main Gennargentu ridge which includes all the five highest summits of the island. All are about the same height (just around 1800m) and Punta La Marmora is the highest one.

The whole appearance of the Gennargentu Range resembles the Scottish highlands. Also the history seems to be very similar. Almost all of the old oak forests of Sardinia have been logged in the 18th and 19th century, mainly to produce charcoal. You can still see the remnants of charcoal kilns between the mountains. Many of today’s hiking trails follow old mulatterias – mule trails which were used to carry the charcoal to the coast. Since that meant crossing the Supramonte Mountain Range which is rather inaccessible the mulatterias always follow the best trails, many times using the gorges that have been cut into Supramonte’s limestone. Codula della Luna is one of these gorges which – as is typical – ends in the solitary beach of Cala Luna.

From Bruncu Spina – as well as the whole Gennargentu main ridge you have Sardinia’s best views. It is located almost at the centre of the island and thus all coasts can be seen - on a clear day even as far as Corsica. The nearer views include High Supramonte and Monte Albo as well as the eastern coastal ranges.

The trail to Bruncu Spina follows the maintenance road for the ski lift as described in the Punta La Marmora Route. You can, however scramble up directly to Genne Erbeghe north of Bruncu Spina (and directly west of the trailhead). From there follow the ridge to Bruncu Spina’s summit.

What’s in a name? Gennargentu means “Silver Saddle”. The range has been named by Arcu Gennargentu, the saddle between Punta Paulinu and Punta su Sciusciu, which in winter receives its silvery shine from the only snow on the island.

Bruncu SpinaPunta PaulinuPunta la Marmora

Interactive overview map of the Gennargentu mountain range. The summits which have been posted to SP are marked in red.

Getting There


Bruncu Spina photo_id=93602

Sardinia can be reached either by plane or by ferry. The main ports are Porto Torres and Olbia in the north as well as Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. Airports are at Alghero and Olbia in the north as well as (again) Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. For exploring the north eastern part of the island where most of the mountains are the best entry point is Olbia, which is where most flights go anyway.

Approaching the mountain from Arbatax airport
From the airport take SS125d west towards Tortoli and onwards on SS198 to Lanusei. There switch to SS389 north direction Nuoro until you reach Passo di Caravei. At the pass turn west again un SS389, direction Fonni. Shortly before you reach the town SP7 (a small side road) turns off left (south) and leads in direction Desulo. After 5km turn left (signs Monte Spada, Bruncu Spina). 7km will lead you to the trailhead which is not at the end of the road at the ski lift but rather some 1km before, where there is a dirt road to the right and a parking place to the left.

Approaching the mountain from Olbia airport
Get on motorway SS 131 south in the direction of Siniscola / Nuoro. At the second exit for Nuoro get off and turn onto SS389 south direction Mamoiarda. First get around Nouro to the west and then follow the road to Fonni. After the town, turn on SP7, direction Desulo and follow the descriptions given above.

Capo d'OrsaPunta CugnanaMonte LimbaraPunta MaggioreCala LunaPunta GiradiliMonte AlboSupramonteGennargentuCodula della LunaBaccu Maore

Interactive map of Sardinia and its mountain regions. Click on the regions, red triangles (mountains) or stars (gorges).

Red Tape


The whole Gennargentu range belongs to Parco Naturale di Gennargentu / Golfo di Orosei. So the usual restrictions concerning wildlife apply. Camping is strictly forbidden within park boundaries but you can take advantage of "agriturismo": many farms offer rooms and apartments.

As for wildlife there are rumours about mufflons and golden eagles. I haven't seen any - a peregrine falcon or a kestrel were about all we encountered. The area is used agriculturally so you'll find cattle, sheep and goats on the slopes. The 400m of elevation which separate Supramonte and Gennargentu result in a completely different flora. You'll only find ground hugging plants here like crocusses and violets.

Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92574Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92571Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92572Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92570

When To Climb


Gennargentu can be climbed all year round. Winter might see snow on the ridges but still hiking the summits still is possible. If you bring your skis to Sardinia ;-) you can do the tour as a ski ascent. Enjoy the two downhill courses - each about 1km long.

Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92563Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92557Bruncu Spina  photo_id=92618

Accommodation


Accomodation...
...in the mountainous region of Gennargentu is not quite so easy to find. Some farms offer "agritourismo" - rooms and apartments with or without breakfast. Some of them will let you camp on their grounds.

Camping...
is not allowed in the natural park so you need to consider staying farther away.

Look for locations on the coast, using www.sardegna.com.

Weather Conditions


Go for the following link, which is in Italian but with ALL the information you might want to have on weather on the island:

www.sar.sardegna.it.

Head for the "Bollettino dettagliato" link.

Maps 'n' Books


As for Maps I used only a road map scale 1:200000 since the guidebook I used has maps and is really quite good. Don't be fooled by the durations they state, you'll be much faster but the "getting there's" and "route description's" are very good.

The book is:
Sardinia (Sardegna / Sardinien)
M. Omidvar
Rother Verlag
ISBN: 3-7633-4800-X (English)
ISBN: 3-7633-4143-9 (Italian)
ISBN: 3-7633-4023-8 (German)



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monti del GennargentuMountains & Rocks