Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.55839°N / 118.2903°W
Additional Information County: Tulare
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13753 ft / 4192 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Discovery Pinnacle is the highest rock formation directly above the famous switchbacks on the Mt. Whitney Main Trail.

As it is only a 100 meter diversion from the Trail Crest it is an easily bagged peak while hiking on the Mt. Whitney Trail. It should be said that USGS marks this peak while several other more famous peaks along the trail are not noted on topographic maps.

There are three main routes to Discovery Pinnacle. All are class three or under.
1. The easiest is to scramble up the ridge above Trail Crest to the SE for about 100 meters. The summit is gained by climbing the west side or traversing to the east side for a easy class three climb.
2. If coming from the east on the ridge above the Whitney Basin the Pinnacle will be a logical stop along your route.
3. The last and most dangerous route is the scramble up from the switchbacks. The danger factor comes from unruly hikers that you have bombarded with scree on your attempt to top out on a peak that no one really notices and probably won't remember.

Getting There

Mount Whitney Main Trail

Whitney Basin Traverse

Red Tape

If taking the Whitney Trail all the same rules apply.
Mount Whitney Main Trail

This peak is only about 2 miles from the Mt. Whitney Summit so it is possible to get Discovery Pinnacle in with several other peaks after coming up the Mountaineer's Route. If doing this then the Mountaineer's Route rules apply.
Mountaineer's Route

Weather/Info

Mt. Whitney Weather

Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center