Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.35877°N / 110.26342°W
Additional Information County: Cochise
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7600 ft / 2316 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Part of the Huachuca Mountain Range, Montezuma peak is the most prominent and visually striking peak in Coronado National Memorial, just south of Sierra Vista, Arizona. Although Miller Peak is taller by over 2000 ft, Montezuma rises 2300 ft from the visitor center at Coronado NM and it's steep, exposed southern face beckons those who are looking for a little bit of scrambling and 4th class adventure. For the more adventurous trad climbers, there is an abundance of routes to be climbed on the steep crags adorning the mountain, although an approach with gear would be strenuous to say the least. This area is heavily used by undocumented aliens and smugglers crossing over from Mexico and evidence of their passage can be seen all over the mountain, this should be taken into consideration when hiking the area.

Getting There

Coro/Montezuma
From Sierra Vista, take Hwy 92 south until you see signs for Coronado National Memorial. Take a right on Montezuma Canyon road and follow the road approximately 3 miles until you come to the park's visitor center. Entrance into the park is free. There are no trails leading up to the peak, so bushwhacking should be expected. Several drainages leading up to the 4th/5th class crags of the mountain can be accessed via Montezuma Canyon Road.

Red Tape

Because there are no official trails and illegal entry/smuggling is heavy in the area, NPS rangers and Border Patrol may be curious if you are bushwhacking up the mountain. This is to be expected, however, there are no regulations about off-trail hiking.

Camping

There is no Camping in Coronado National Memorial. There are 2 USFS campgrounds available off of Carr Canyon road off HWY 92 in the Coronado National Forest

External Links

www.nps.gov/coro