Coleman Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 22, 2004 4:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Let me be the first to get you closer to your brand new Audi.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 22, 2004 5:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. Maybe I'll let you ride in it sometime.

But, alas, if I come down there to PDX next week, I'll be coming in my Honda Lotus all-road mountain car complete with glass pack muffler (actually, just busted at the moment...another disastrous encounter with a logging road drainage berm):



Next week (if I manage to make it down there), I'm considering doing Sturgeon Fin (Clark County's highpoint) by way of your Silver Star Mountain. I've never seen a picture of this "fin." Do you think it will be climbable with snow on it? I'm not sure how steep and/or technical it is.



Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 23, 2004 11:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

When you say Sturgeon Fin, do you mean Sturgeon Rock? The rock thing just to the west of the summit of Silver Star? I notice on my topo that the county line runs between it and the summit of SS. If this is the same thing, it is an easy Class 2 endeavor. I did it as a side hike on my way down Silver Star. Took this photo from the top of it. Just follow the 4WD road/trail over from the summit of SS until you are on the south side of Sturgeon and then jump off trail and head on up. It was like mossy covered steps from what I remember. If this is not the same rock peak, I would still think you would not have much trouble. I was just up at 3000 feet in the Gorge this afternoon and there was a light dusting of snow but it'll melt off. I would think unless we get some funky real low freezing levels and a bunch of precip, it'll be ok to do for a few weeks more. Then again, this was the scene in November of last year and I was hip deep in snow and still far from the summit. If there is snowfall before you go, snowshoes might be in order but you could still probably get up Sturgeon with no problem (provided the one you are talking about is the one I did before).



Good luck.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 23, 2004 11:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

By the way..................sweet ride! Put a dead grandma in it, tie a dog to the bumper and you are set to go to Wallyworld!

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 25, 2004 3:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yeah, Sturgeon Rock is the eminence to the west. The county line runs over the west end of Sturgeon Rock. I guess the part that is in Clark County is called Sturgeon Fin. Some trip reports here

Martin Cash - Oct 22, 2004 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looks strangely familiar. A very nice page.

brenta

brenta - Oct 23, 2004 12:44 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very good page: complete and well written. Since the S and SE approaches merge toward the summit , you may want to point out where they do in the descriptions. Thanks for posting!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 24, 2004 3:18 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page as usual. Very detailed access information!

Dean

Dean - Oct 25, 2004 5:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page. You've really put this one on the map. People will begin to know where the Pasayten area is thanks to your efforts.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Coleman Peak' main page