Big Chiwaukum Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Deb

Deb - Oct 13, 2006 7:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Thorough

Good thorough page. I like the photos but are they scanned? They'd be beautiful with a bit more quality on the finishing.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 13, 2006 7:21 pm - Hasn't voted

My camera crapping

I have been scanning from prints for all my shots for eons but now my camera is starting to take out-of-focus shots (something's wrong with the power relay to the lens, I think, and I can sometimes get a stuck shutter). The camera is over a decade old. So these shots and others from other recent adventures came out blurry. To correct this to upload-worthy quality I have had to sharpen to the point that pixellation has become a problem. I've never called myself a professional photographer and don't generally upload shots to SP to score aggrandizing points but I do recognize the value of quality images.

The remedy for my crapping out camera is to buy a digital "ray gun" (yep, that's right Radek). I am satisfied now with the state of that technology (mainly in the chrono range) to justify to myself to get one...a good one not one of those compact models. Hmmm, sounds like a Christmas wish in the making.

Thanks for stopping by.

Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Oct 16, 2006 1:51 am - Voted 10/10

Your customary nice job

I hope Christmas brings you a nice digi-cam.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 12, 2012 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Summit

It's interest that you say the summit is the more Northerly bump. Then that old topozone map shows what looks like an 8080+ contour and an 8081T elevation. As I zoomed in on the more current mytopo maps, it actually shows both bumps as 8040+ (I think):

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?lat=47.7031&lon=-120.93491&z=15

Then you mention the register, which I presume to be at the HP. But then these two TRs have route maps going to the S summit but it looks like they also found the HP register? And b00 claims it is class 2. Weirdness. http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987545&highlight=chiwaukum
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7969918&highlight=chiwaukum

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 12, 2012 4:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Summit

It may be that the summit is neither the 8081T point nor the 8080+ point it is currently marked at but some place in between. If you're going up there soon, take a GPS and get the summit located once and for all.

The HP looks like the prominent center nub in this picture and that would jive with obervations of its character while standing on it. But this would put the summit about right here, which is halfway between the two points.

It is possible this point is Pt. 8081T.

I do remember (know) that when you run the ridge from the south, along the west side of the final ridge, there is Class 3 scrambling in and out of rocky terrain, which would be along the west side of the ridge NW of Pt. 8081T. You can see on the satellite the way the terrain changes after you pass 8081T.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 28, 2012 2:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Summit

I saw you were at Grace Lake and I heard you didn't go to the summit of Chiwaukum. Wazzzupwiththat?

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Big Chiwaukum' main page