Mt. Defiance Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.64860°N / 121.7211°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the parking area described in the Getting There section, follow the trail back along the highway shoulder to begin the trail.

Route Description

Follow the trail from the parking lot back along the shoulder of the highway. Keep right at every fork. This will take you past a couple of neat waterfalls. Cross the stream on the bridge at Hole-in-the-Wall Falls at about the 1 mile mark and continue to the junction of the Mt. Defiance Trail and Starvation Ridge Trail. Turn right and a little more relatively flat hiking gets you to the start of the switchbacks. The next mile or two are steep switchbacks (worst part of the trail) You'll gain a ridge after this and for about half a mile it's gentle and almost flat. Then the woods steepen and up until June/July you'll start to encounter snow most likely. You'll then come to a junction with the Mitchell Point Trail. From there it's .8 miles up to the summit or you can take a 1 mile loop trail to the right to the summit. (hard to find if snow-covered) If you take the .8 mile hike straight up, watch for a rock field on your right that affords great views of 3 Washington peaks. If it's still snowcovered the route generally goes right through the rock field. After the rock field are some brief woods until the summit.

For a different route back down via Starvation Ridge, take the Mitchell Point Trail to the right towards Warren Lake. A half mile past the lake there is an unmarked trail down Starvation Ridge. Don't worry about missing this trail as the Mitchell point Trail ends 50 yards after the junction.

Essential Gear

none needed

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.