Mt Egmont/Taranaki South Route

Mt Egmont/Taranaki South Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.297°S / 174.06400°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Visitor Centre the route heads northwest to the Hooker Shelter and beyond to 1,966 metre Fanthams Peak and the Syme Hut.

After a brief descent from the Syme Hut to Ranitoto Flats at 1,920 metres it’s straightforward but loose going up scoria ~1.5 km to the south entrance of the summit crater at ~2,500 metres and the true summit 10 minutes beyond.
Mount Egmont crater from...Mt Egmont/Taranaki South Face. The "Shark's Tooth" pinnacle on the right edge of the summit crater. Photo by Kieran

Getting There

Approach the Dawson Falls Visitor Centre, the starting point for the south side route on Egmont/Taranaki area from from Hawera in the south or from New Plymouth to the north.

From Hawera at the junction of SH 45 and SH3 drive 19 km north on Route 3 to Eltham. In the centre of the village turn left onto Eltham Road and drive 13 km west to Kaponga. Turn right on Manaia Road and drive 14 km north to the Dawsons Falls Roadend and Visitors Centre from where the South Route starts.

Or approach from New Plymouth by driving 13 km south on SH 3 to Egmont Village past the turn for North Egmont and onwards a further 28.5 km to Stratford.

Drive a further 11 km beyond Stratford to Eltham, turn right onto Eltham Road and follow the directions as above to the road end at Dawson Falls.

Route Description

The summit track leaves Dawson falls just above the Visitor Centre.

A climb up through the bush reaches Hooker Shelter at 1,140m and the site of an early ski run which is now becoming overgrown.

A kilometre further on the infamous "Egmont Steps" are unfortunately necessary in order to combat massive erosion of fragile soils.

The track reaches the Lake Dive and Kapuni Lodge junction at ~ 1,400 metres.

At ~ 1,700 metres the knoll is reached from where the route is a long zigzag up steep scoria slopes to the top of Fanthams Peak and the Syme Hut at ~ 1,900 metres.
Part of the south face climb....Below the Kapuni Hut
Mount Egmont from the Kapuni...Summit from the Kapuni Hut
The Shark s ToothThe "Shark's Tooth". Photo by vancouver islander
Mt Egmont/Taranaki South Crater EntranceSouth Crater entrance. Photo by vancouver islander

From the Syme Hut the route is marked by poles down to Ranitoto flat, the saddle between Fanthams Peak and the main summit.

The route then lies up scoria to the south entrance to the summit crater west of Mackey Rocks and crosses the crater to the final scoria slope and the summit.

Route summary:
Net elevation gain: ~ 1,620 metres
Total elevation gain: ~ 1,700 metres
Approximate times: ~ 5-6 hours up, 3-4 hours down, 1 hour for breaks.

Essential Gear

Nothing out of the ordinary in the way of gear but be aware that rapid weather changes are the order of the day on Egmont, so be ready for anything.

Take warm clothes and lots of water at any time of the year and an ice axe for use in winter conditions.

Camping, Weather, Links, Red Tape, Safety etc

Please refer to the parent mountain page.

Page Notes

This an edited version of Kieran's original "South Face" route page by vancouver islander. The route description is still essentially Kieran's, since I have not done this particular route, although I have edited the details substantially for spelling, grammar and clarity.

Although no longer active on SP, Kieran is still listed as the page owner until I go down to NZ again and climb Egmont/Taranaki by the route from Dawson Falls. In the meantime, if you have additional material to contribute or want to take over the page yourself please contact me.

Cheers, vancouver islander

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Baarb

Baarb - Dec 31, 2015 9:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Some extra info

Some route info from NZAC: http://climbnz.org.nz/nz/ni/taranaki/taranaki-mt-egmont/summit-climbs-from-dawson-falls

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.