Mt. (Gunung) Agung Crossover Route

Mt. (Gunung) Agung Crossover Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 8.34235°S / 115.50298°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Agung route shown on google earth
Mt. Agung route in yellow
This route starts at the same place as a more popular trek to a lower point on Mt. Agung, often called the southern route.  However the trail for the popular trek does not go to the highest on the mountain, but stops about 100 meters short, across the crater from the highest point.  The crossover route starts on the popular southern trail, then crosses the mountain to join with the more difficult Besakih trail (western route) near the top.  The Besakih trail starts lower and farther away, so the crossover route is the shortest way to get to the highest point.

Note that this is a route, not a trail.  It is clearly marked with white paint but is mostly class 2 with some class 3.  There is one spot where a rope is employed but it could probably be climbed without it.

The total mileage is 5.5 miles round trip with about 4,831' of elevation gain, all in the first 2.75 miles.



Getting There

The trail starts at the base of the stairs to Pasar Agung Temple.  If you are with a guide, they will pick you up and drive you there.  Please see the description for Getting There on the main page for the mountain.

Route Description

The route starts on the 300 stairs to the Pasar Agung temple.  Before ascending the final stairs up to the temple gate, turn left and wind your way through some stone structures.   It is this part where a guide is most needed as it is night and there are no trail markings. 
 
Pasar Agung Temple gate
Pasar Agung Temple gate

Once past the temple structures the trail begins on soft and slippery reddish brown dirt.  At approximately 7730 feet elevation and 1.5 miles there are some white arrows painted on the rocks that point left to the crossover route.  Turn left (west) to leave the main trail and follow the white paint up and across the mountain.  This is the section that contains the rope assist.

Mt Agung Crossover route rope section
Mt Agung Crossover route rope section
Mt Agung Crossover Route junction with Besakih Trail
The Besakih Trail runs along the ridge



This route traverses the mountain to the west saddle of the crater rim.  When you reach this saddle you are almost there.  Join the trail from Besakih and go right (east) for .1 mile towards the highest point. 

 

















On top there is a marker and a little statue.  The views are incredible on a clear day.  To the northeast is the ocean, and to the west is Mt. Batur with its beautiful lake.

Little statue on top of Mt. Agung
Little statue on top of Mt. Agung
Mt. Agung high point marker
Mt. Agung high point marker



The descent of the mountain is tedious and tough on legs and knees.

White trail markings on the Mt. Agung crossover trail
White trail markings on the Mt. Agung crossover trail
   
Mt. Agung crossover trail steepness
Mt. Agung crossover trail steepness






Essential Gear

Sufficient water (2-3 liters).
Headlamp and spare batteries.
Trekking poles would be very helpful for the steepness.
Rain gear (can also be used for a light jacket).
A light jacket for the top.
Shoes or boots that grip well.

Useful Information

If you show up without a guide, you could be harassed in the parking lot.
It is advisable to start in the dark.  It is cooler, plus you can witness the colors of the sunrise as you ascend or at the top.
During wet weather this route would be fairly hazardous due to its steepness and lack of trail.
There is a small, filthy squatting toilet at the parking lot.
Some time after dawn there are vendors in the parking lot who sell beverages, food and trinkets.
You can find a guide on some social sites such as TripAdvisor or even here.  Your guide may be able to arrange nearby lodging as there are homestays that cannot be found on the internet.
If you hire a guide, they will normally bring snacks and hot water with tea, coffee and hot chocolate. 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AgungRoutes