Mt. Harvey Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.28000°N / 123.12°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike up with class II sections
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Mt. Harvey is located 40km north of downtown Vancouver. To get there head north on Highway 99 to Lions bay. Once you reach Lion's Bay turn right on Oceanview drive and then left on Cross Creek Rd. Continue on the road across harvey Creek until you reach Centre Rd. where you will take a right. From there take a left on Bayview followed by another left onto Mountain Dr. Again turn left on Sunset where you will come across the gate that marks the trailhead and bars further progress.
***Additional parking can be found at Lions Bay Elementary School 1km back along the road.

Route Description


Follow the old logging trail for 15 minutes until you come to a fork in the trail. Take the right fork (the left will take you to Brunswick). After this the trail becomes steeper and more rugged. Twenty minutes or so later you will come to a second intersection. Stay to the right here as well. The trail continues to steepen for another 5 minutes until the forest begins and the grade eases off. Here you catch your first glimpse out over Horseshoe Bay.

Soon after you will arrive at a T-intersection again stay to the right and soon enough will find yourself at yet another intersection. This is an important intersection and is marked with trail markers, a large cairn and three rust coloured boulders. There is a trail marked with orange markers this is the route to the summit. The trail here narrows and steepens considerably. Follow the trail through a series of awitrchbacks and across a wide basin. You will come across a barren section still recovering from a forest fire, then it is onto the shoulder and the final 750m scramble to the summit.
**Exercise caution on the summit scramble as it is open and exposed in places and the drop offs are egregious.

Essential Gear


An ice axe would be a good idea even into early July (crampons if it is Spring). Otherwise sturdy boots, sun screen, 3-4l of water and trekking poles. As always because you are in Vancouver and in the mountains bring rain gear and some warm clothes (just in case) and you should be golden.



Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.