Mt. Herman Road trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.08170°N / 104.9263°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike - 4 miles - 1,000' gain
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 with a few steep areas
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Mt. Herman main page.

Route Description

From the trailhead on Mt. Herman Road head north up the trail. It is marked as Trail #716 and is labeled on the Pikes Peak atlas. The lower portions of the trail pass through a small valley with nice grasses and some nice aspen before steepening into a forest consisting mostly of pines. The upper portion is cairned in a few steep places but is relatively easy to follow if you pay attention.

You will eventually top out on the ridge and get intermittent views to the east. Head north along the ridge until you arrive at the relatively open summit with views in all directions. On a clear day you can see the Denver skyline and even Longs Peak through the trees. To the west are some interesting rock formations among the Rampart Range and Pike National Forest.

After completing a summit of either Mt. Herman and/or Blodgett Peak to the south, one gets a feeling of the huge forest located west of Colorado Springs behind the wall that is the Rampart Range.

Essential Gear

General hiking gear is adequate on the route. In winter or spring, waterproof boots would be nice as you are likely to encounter snow. Be sure to bring binoculars.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.