Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18940°N / 73.9673°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2876 ft / 877 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Jo in the Fall

Mount Jo stands 700 ft. over Heart Lake near ADK Loj south of Lake Placid in the heart of the High Peaks Zone of the Adirondacks.

Henry Van Hovenberg named Mt. Jo. He named the mountain after his ex-fiancée Josephine Schofield.

Mt. Jo has two trails that lead to its summit. The summit offers spectacular views of the High Peaks and the MacIntyre range in particular. On most days there is a summit steward to assist in any questions that a hiker might have.

History of Mt. Jo

Henry Van Hovenberg came to the Adirondacks for the first time in 1877 because of health reasons. While he was up there he met Josephine Schofield from Brooklyn, NY. They climbed Mt. Marcy together and became engaged on the summit. From the summit they spotted a small lake that was about five miles away, they decided that that’s where they would live and build a tourist lodge in the wilderness. Josephine's parents did not like the whole idea and took their daughter back to Brooklyn.

Henry stayed and fulfilled the lovers' dream. In 1880 he built the Adirondack Lodge on the shores of the lake. It was the largest log building in the United States at the time and had three stories. He changed the name of the lake from "Clear Pond" to "Heart Lake". Ha also named the small mountain in the back of his land "Mt Jo" in honor of his lost love.

 

Getting There

Directions to ADK Heart Lake Program Center
P.O. Box 867
Adirondack Loj Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946-0867
Phone/Reservations: 518-523-3441
Fax and Weather: 518-523-3518

FROM THE SOUTH: Take the Adirondack Northway (I-87) to Exit 30. Turn left on Route 73 toward Keene and Lake Placid, continue on Route 73 for 26.5 miles. Turn left on Adirondak Loj Road (High Peaks Trailhead sign). It is five miles to the Loj.

FROM THE NORTH: Take the Adirondack Northway (I-87) to Exit 34, Keeseville. Follow Route 9N to Jay and Route 86 to Lake Placid. Turn left on Route 73 before going through Lake Placid. In three miles look for the High Peaks Trailhead sign and turn right on Adirondak Loj Road. It is five miles to the Loj.

FROM THE WEST: Take Route 3 or Route 86 into Saranac Lake. Continue on Route 86 through Lake Placid. At the third traffic light, turn right on to Route 73 towards Keene. In three miles look for the High Peaks Trailhead sign and turn right onto the Adirondak Loj Road. It is five miles to the Loj.

PARKING: There is parking for approximately 200 cars at a charge of $9 per day (ADK members pay $3 per day).
If the parking lot is full at ADK Loj there is another parking lot that is about a mile and a half away. To get to it turn left on to a dirt road when you see a sign for South Meadow Parking Area. There is also camping free camping for 10 to 15 tents at the south meadow.
Thanks to hgrapid for the info on South Meadow

 

Red Tape

There is a parking fee: There is parking for approximately 200 cars at a charge of $9 per day (ADK members pay $3 per day).

 

When To Climb

Mountain can be climbed all year. Snowshoes are required in winter.

 

Camping

You can camp at Heart Lake for a fee or hike 3 miles to Marcy Dam and camp for free.
If the parking lot is full at ADK Loj there is another parking lot that is about a mile and a half away. To get to it turn left on to a dirt road when you see a sign for South Meadow Parking Area. There is also camping free camping for 10 to 15 tents at the south meadow.

Thanks to hgrapid for the info on South Meadow
Here are the camping rates for 2005 for Heart Lake

 

Mountain Conditions

Here is the weather.com site for Lake Placid

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 25, 2008 7:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Broken links

FYI - There are some broken links and missing images on this page that need to be updated.

Rob A

Rob A - Sep 26, 2008 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Broken links

all fixed. thanks for pointing those out. Rob

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Aug 23, 2016 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Revised fees

As of 23 August 2016 the rate for parking at the Loj is now $10 for non members and $5 for members. After 1 pm the rate drops to $5 for non members and $2.50 for members.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.