Mt.Morgan and Francis Lake

Mt.Morgan and Francis Lake

photo by Nate.P
Marcsoltan
on Dec 18, 2008 12:37 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 472940

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
yatsek

yatsek - Dec 19, 2008 1:14 am - Voted 10/10

Hi Sierra

Nevada? How many people visit such places - in high and low seasons?

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 19, 2008 1:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi Sierra

No, it's in California. It's a part of the eastern Sierras. During the summer months, many people visit this lake, and the area. However, we camped here in September and we were the only people there. I know during the winter months many people do ski touring in the area, but probably not in the vicinity of Francis Lake. The trail to this lake is actually quite steep.

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 19, 2008 6:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Hi Sierra

Any permits necessary? BTW Is it common practice in the US/CA to oblige visitors to national parks to keep to marked trails?

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 19, 2008 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi Sierra

Hi Jacek,
The answer to the first question is yes. However, there are certain exceptions. This can be a very long winded answer, but the summary of it is like this. Mt.Whitney has it's own rules and regulations. You need a permit for day hikes as well as overnight camping. Certain seasons you can make self issuing permits, but you must have one. For the rest of the Eastern Sierras, you don't need a permit for day hikes, but always need one for overnight trips. There is a lot of literature is available on that issue.
As far as keeping to the established trails go, it depends on the place and the mountain. Where there are established trails, they want you not to cut switchbacks. But, if you are approaching a climb that is not near an established trail, you can go cross country. But, for the most part cutting switchbacks is prohibited.

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 20, 2008 5:10 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Hi Sierra

Thanks, Marc. Just two more questions:
1. But generally, except for the (parts of) nature reserves that are packed with visitors, can it be said that one can camp (on a permit) at most spots? Or are there usually only a few designated places?

2. And do you have to have - apart from the permit - any climbing license to be allowed to climb within a national park/monument? This is both the rule and the reason I hardly ever climb in the Tatras--the tiny Polish/Slovak version of the Alps. Well, you can climb without any licence if you hire a licensed guide but the fee is over 100 dollars per day climb/scramble.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5