Mt Whymper Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 5, 2008 9:11 pm - Voted 10/10

thanks!

Yet another great page, can't wait to visit your island again.

The phrasing "private land leased by the Crown to Timberwest Forest Corp" bugged me -- if it's Crown land, then it's not private. Maybe, "privately leased land" ? Or maybe I've corrected too many students' papers in my life. :)

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 6, 2008 3:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks!

Thanks Arthur.

The phraseolgy may bug you but, unfortunately, is accurate. Once the timber companies have acquired logging rights from the Crown they are entitled to use the land as they want and to restrict access when and how they please. They can also resell the lease after they're extracted the timber for whatever purpose they wish - although the government has to approve the new use (could be private housing or a resort etc).

I do see your point however. I wonder if "restricted access" land would be more accurate.

camerona91

camerona91 - Nov 4, 2008 8:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Access

Was up in that area this weekend. They are currently saying no camping as well. The road was open and passable all the way. The gate between El Capitan and Whymper was even open. Some trees across road, but all passable with 2WD.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Nov 4, 2008 8:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access

On Sandy's trip?

Thanks for the camping heads up. I'll modify the page info accordingly.

Jasper2014

Jasper2014 - Apr 5, 2015 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Recon trip

Did a trip up to Mt Whymper today to check out the road conditions and general area. Currently the gate is only open weekends from 0930 to 1600. It took me approx 2 hours to drive up about 1.5 km shy of the SE route.This does not allow enough time to summit and get back to the gate before close. Once the summer hours come into effect this trip would be doable. C27 and C29 are in ok condition but NOT recommended for 2WD drive vehicles. Once you pass the old donkey engine the road does have many potholes and we did not see any active logging in the immediate area. Directions on the post are spot on excellent job. There was only about 3 inches of snow at the start of the SE route.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mt Whymper' main page