Viewing: 1-20 of 52
Nanuls

Nanuls - Dec 1, 2009 2:35 pm - Voted 10/10

A full winter

Looks like you had a very full winter Bryan, and covered and photographed most of Snowdonia at the same time it seems. If you're looking for somewhere else on your next visit might I suggest Cadair Idris, the Rhinogs and the Arans - all great places to walk. The Rhinogs are a particular favourite of mine, they are so wild and visited by so few.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 2, 2009 5:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A full winter

Thanks for your comments Dan. I will slowly expand the area of my operations. I was exploring the Southern end of the Moelwyns in November and found some routes I'd be happy to try in poor winter weather. Cadair Idris is certainly on my "to do" list as well!

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Dec 2, 2009 10:23 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting report

Hi Bryan,
I thought your TR was excellent and your fotos outstanding. As an adopted scouser Snowdonia was my playground for many years and I've covered the ground you've shown but your account brings it all back vividly. Living in Essex now doesn't give me as many opportunities to get there. One omission I did notice was Ogwen and the Glyders. Are you saving these up for later?
cheers Johnnie

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 2, 2009 1:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting report

Thanks for your very kind words Johnnie. Yet to start on the Glyders and didn't think winter was the time to do that! Planning to get stuck into them next year sometime.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Dec 2, 2009 7:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Glyders

Bryan, a good intro is to walk up the old road from Capel behind Tryfan and onto the Glyders.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 3, 2009 3:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Glyders

Thanks for that, it's on my list now!

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 3, 2009 3:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Glyders

Thanks for that, it's on my list now!

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Dec 3, 2009 3:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Glyders

see January edition of Trail magazine.

mills

mills - Dec 6, 2009 6:00 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks

for sharing your experience in Snowdonia Bryan, as a local it is my playground in Winter but, as you mentioned, although they are not high in comparison to other mountain ranges the weather can change dramatically and very quickly, sadly the lost of lives on Snowdon every year indicates how serious thease `small hills` can be to the unprepaired climber.
The local mountain rescue team (Llanberis,Snowdon) and (Ogwen, Carneddau/Glyderau) are all volunteers are on call all year round, just thought I`d mention them as they have some very difficult and hazardous callouts and put their own safety on the line to rescue the benighted on the hills.
Your post has been an excelent read Bryan, a very good insight into winter hillwalking in Snowdonia. I hope we will have a good 2009/2010 winter and that you will enjoy another season on the hills.

mills.

p.s fantastic photos by the way :)

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 6:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

Thanks for your kind words.Very glad you enjoyed the read.

I am very aware of the mountain rescue guys and what they do. And that dreadful week they had in February this year after I think 4 fatalities in short time. When their pleas for people to keep off Snowdon unless they were properly equipped got to about third item on the main evening BBC news.

Like may of us I've done my bit in persuading people to turn around, and on one of my trips I led a small group of young guys off the mountain. They had the sense to realise they could not go back down the way they had come up, and they asked for help. I'm not sure they were totally confident in an old, overweight, white haired guy. But once I got them below the cloudbase and out of the dreadful visibility and driving snow their relief was palpable. As was mine!

Doesn't make me an expert, I am not. And it doesn't make me immune from getting into trouble myself. I just try and read the conditions and adapt my plans accordingly. Like twice paying circa £18 for a taxi back from Llanberis to Pen-y-Pass after I'd gone up the PYG track and felt in worsening weather it wasn't safe to go back that way.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Dec 6, 2009 8:18 am - Voted 10/10

Very interesting

trip report for someone who has only climbed Snowdon once, in early October, with no snow. I must say the snow does make the mountains of Snowdonia look very impressive, and you got some amazing photos on those trips.

But the report is also a very nice read, and I ended up full of admiration for the great shape you obviously are in. I hope you can continue like that for many years to come!

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting

Thank you Ejnar. sadly my fitness has crashed with this dreadful bronchial bug I've had for ten days now. No training of any sort, and the prospect of going to Snowdonia soon and starting from square one again! At least I should have lost some weight.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A very curios country :)

Please take care! Some winters you could be very disappointed.

Boydie

Boydie - Dec 6, 2009 9:02 am - Voted 10/10

Great account...

.. of your time in the Snowdonia area from last winter Bryan. I found it very heartfelt and it's good you found this a source of comfort during a difficult time. The pictures you posted are excellent and compliment your TR very well.

The higher peaks up here are covered from about 2,500 feet up (don't know what Snowdon is like as the webcam seems to be down at the moment!) just now, so hopefully we'll all get a good one this year!!!

Cheers,
Stephen

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great account...

I'd settle for the snow level being 2,500 feet in Snowdonia when I get there later in December!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Dec 6, 2009 10:05 am - Voted 10/10

wonderful

I had no idea the terrain there was so varied and so rich! Your pictures have taught me otherwise.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 1:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wonderful

Arthur, I haven't even started on the most challenging terrain yet. The Glyders!

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Dec 6, 2009 10:33 am - Voted 10/10

Nicely done, Bryan!

Really beautiful pictures. You're really starting to rack up the power points now.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Dec 6, 2009 1:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nicely done, Bryan!

All I've got to do now is to keep the power points ahead of my age, if not my waistline!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 6, 2009 11:18 am - Voted 10/10

stunning pics

Is the weather always that nice?

Viewing: 1-20 of 52
Return to 'My First Snowdonian Winter' main page