N-NE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.32898°N / 9.63584°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA III to IV+ (5.3 - 5.7)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the western end of the Albigna Dam, reached either from the Albigna Hut or from the cable car station, follow the trail that keeps to the right towards Val della Neve Pass. Skirt just under the final slope to the pass and continue south, below Roda. If climbing La Vergine, follow the track to the gap between Roda and La Vergine. Otherwise continue until below the connection between La Vergine and Il Gallo, crossing over a moraine and perhaps a snowfield, then over large blocks to a vague ridge base. About 1.75 to 2 hours from the Albigna Hut, 1 to 1.5 hours from the dam.

Route Description

La Vergine
Follow the ridge crest or divert into the east face as desired. IV to IV+. Down climb the south ridge to gain the blocks in the gap at the base of Il Gallo. About 1 to 1.5 hours.

Il Gallo
Move west over blocks to a ledge that leads to the foot of a wall on the east side of the ridge. Climb a short blocky wall to a narrow ledge. You can also traverse west around and climb the smooth, exposed wall by a finger crack that leads up to the chimney mentioned below.

Follow the ledge east for a rope length, then return west and climb easy rock to the foot of a slanting slab bounded by a chimney/crack. Either climb this crack or the wall directly.

Now traverse west to a large ledge. From the ledge, climb to west to a stance on the vertical south wall of the summit block. Ascend the summit block by a lieback, with your hands on the wall edge.

About 1 to 1.5 hours.

Descent
Either reverse the ascent route by down climbing or rappelling or it is also common to rappel the South ridge (overhanging, free rappel at the start).

Essential Gear

Many pegs are already in place as are belay stances and rappel points. 50 m rope, quickdraws and a small rack are needed. For the snow field, crampons and ice axe may be needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.