National Trail #44

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.58530°N / 112.072°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

Difficulty: Easy Class 1 Walk-up
Distance: 1.6 Miles round-trip
Elevation Gain: 614 feet
Trail leading back down to the Maricopa parking lotRocky beginning to National Trail #44

Start from the National Trail #44 trailhead located in the parking lot described in the "Getting There" section.
Head North up the mildly steep trail for about .15 miles. This trail is mainly comprised of dirt and rock, but nothing that is very sketchy. A brown marker post at the top of the draw with the number 44 on it will confirm you are going the right direction.
From this point continue West up the man-made steps for another 0.2 miles.
Here you will meet up with an anti-climactic paved road.
This road continues up to the summit for another 0.5 miles. Most people will claim victory once they reach the locked fence that contains the transmission towers. However, if you wish to stand on the summit without breaking any laws, then walk around to the South side of the fence and follow the rocky trail up to the summit.
At this point you can either turn around and go back down the way you came up or you can continue on the trail back down to your car to complete the loop.
If you continue down the trail to complete the loop it will be a little more challenging then it was on your way up, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Follow the trail South along the ridge for a few hundred feet and then descend a steep trail. Keep to the left here and follow it as it takes you down the Eastern side of the mountain.
You will reach another post when you are about 3/4 of the way done with the trail. At this point, head around the West side of the crest. At the 1.4 mile mark you will reach a 3-way junction. Take the left junction and descend down to the Quechan Ramada at the end of the trail. Continue North on the road until you reach your original starting point. This road will be about another quarter of a mile until you reach your vehicle.

Getting There

From Interstate 17

Take the Thunderbird Road exit (#210). Follow Thunderbird Rd. East for about 3 miles until you reach 7th Street. Once you reach 7th Street turn right (South) and follow it until you reach Peoria Avenue. Once you reach Peoria Ave., turn right into the North Mountain Recreation Area. Go right, into the Maricopa picnic area. The trailhead will be to the right.

Red Tape

Dogs must be on a leash
No Glass containers
Trail closes at sunset
Do not remove anything from the trail

When to climb

October through April is probably the best time of year to climb, due to Summer temperatures exceeding 110 degrees. Beware if hiking in the summer of the monsoons and lightning storms.

What to bring

I would bring at least a liter of water
Sunglasses
Sunblock
Good hiking shoes
Camera

Weather Conditions




600x400
Click the Satellite picture for a video loop of current weather

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.