Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Pulsar

Pulsar - Feb 18, 2007 12:04 am - Voted 10/10

Haleluja

A mountain again. There have been so many postings of forested hills lately that I was starting to forget what I like so much about this site. Thanks to your post I remember.

hhsilleck

hhsilleck - Feb 18, 2007 6:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Haleluja

Thanks Pulsar - there are a ton of other enormous peaks in the Huayhuash that I hope others will add soon - it's an incredible area!

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Feb 21, 2007 9:26 am - Voted 9/10

Well Done

Very good page - again. It seems you put it all up in one go, a good example of what I've been arguing about over on Site Feedback. A shame more people can't follow your example. Thanks for your contribution.

Corax

Corax - Feb 22, 2007 10:54 am - Voted 10/10

Hmmm

However, expect to pay a small fee for camping (or even just passing through) any of the numerous small settlements in the Huayhuash.

In haven't been to this area, but in some other parts of South America and Asia the money collecting thing for a good purpose is nothing but an organized and "legal" way of begging/scamming.
I'm not saying this is the case here, I'm just a bit curious.
The people which collects the money, do they carry any kind of official identification or do you think just about anyone could walk up to you and say; "Hi, I'm representing x and if you want to pass here you have to pay x amount of $$"?

A very nice page by the way.

hhsilleck

hhsilleck - Feb 23, 2007 2:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hmmm

I wondered the same thing when we were there ... the only places where you must pay a fee for walking by are staffed by "officials" (at least in uniform) at a locked gate with no other way to pass. The fees for camping are payed at each settlement, some of which did provide a tangible service (most provide pit toilets, one settlement provides an armed escort over the next pass and two overnight guards, as there had been several recent robberies at gunpoint). Once or twice it did have the feeling of extortion, though.
Cheers,
Howie

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Nevado Diablo Mudo' main page