Niagara Gorge

Niagara Gorge

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 1999
Activities Activities: Hiking

Gorge

I have seen the Niagara Gorge from almost every angle. I have been aboard the Maid of the Mist, which is a boat that travels to the base of Niagara Falls.

View from Maid of Mist


Additionally, I have climbed down a steep, but not vertical, section of the gorge near Artpark, which is a couple of miles down stream from Niagara Falls.

Probably the best views available come from a bike path that runs the length of the gorge on the Canadian side. It is not very long, maybe 10 miles total, but it allows one to take in the magnitude of the gorge and beauty of its surroundings. The views actually get better as you get further North from the Falls because the immediate vicinity of the Falls is surrounded by hydro-electric plants and a carnival-like atmosphere.

As you move away from the falls you will see a cable car that runs over the whirlpool. It goes over an inlet on the Canadian side.

Historical Tidbit: A few years back, some enterprising individuals decided they could make some money by guiding illegal immigrants to the cable car by charging a fee to get to America. The only problem was that the cable car is entirely within Canada. [img:245990:alignleft:medium:]

Niagara-on-the-Lake

The bike path along the Canadian side of the gorge leads to Niagara-on-the-Lake. This is a pleasant little town full of shops, restaurants and wineries. I suggest Peller Estates for wine....very good.

It is at this point that you can tour the historical remnants of the War of 1812. Fort George overlooks the gorge and the adjacent Fort Niagara on the American side. Both forts offer substantial insights into the mostly forgotten history of the War of 1812.

Fort George

Fort Niagara Niagara Webcam

Maps




Irving City Parks










Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Niagara GorgeTrip Reports