Nor-Oeste (North-West)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 8.54196°N / 71.00457°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow?Glacier Climb and maybe some Ice Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up and some 5.6 rock climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From La Mucuy National Park Station, go through the normal rout up to the Green Lagoon.

Route Description


From Merida take a Bus to Tabay. Then take a Jeep to La Mucuy National Park Station. From there you start the walking toward La Coromoto Lagoon. 3-5 hours. (1st. Camp). Next day you'll wa;k up to the Green Lagoon.4-5 hours (2nd Camp).
The Nor-Oeste route starts from the Green Lagoon Campsite and goes around the lagoon toward the glacier. The hike to the base of the glacier is quite steep through loose rocks morraines and then polished kind rock morraines. (3-5 hours). Then you'll attack the glacier by its north-west side climbing up directly to its highest part. (1-2 hours). The upper part of the galcier climb gets less steeper until is completly flat and you can choose either to the left to the Humboldt Summit or the the right to the Bonpland Summit.
To the Bonpland Summit you go through the Humboldt-Bonpland Ridge and cross to the left side until you get to the summit. This part is the most technical and depending on the season you may require ice-climbing techniques. (1-3 hours).

Essential Gear


Crampons, Ice Axe, Rope and Security gear for each party (Harness, ATC, Carabiners, ...)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.