Normal Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.28263°N / 1.78411°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / easy climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II inf
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the city of Irun ( border between France and Spain, crossed by the Highway joining Bayonne and Donosti/San Sebastian ): near the Bidassoa River, at the “Matadero” ( slaughterhouse ), go to the south to the Barrio Meaka . Follow the signs “ Ermitage de San Marcial “ – Aia . Drive for 9 km in the forest, until an old military fort ( Castillo del Ingles ). A few hundred yards further is the parking area, at the Col d’Elurretxe ( Elurretxe Pass, 490m ~ 1,600ft ).

Route Description


From the Col of Elurretxe ( Pikoketa ), walk up a trail to the south. After crossing a forest, it winds on a grassy ridge, and gets to the first of the Peñas, Muganix, 786m ~ 2,580ft. Keep on the ridge, to the east, to get to Irumugarrieta, 810m ~ 2,658ft.

From that point, the ridge gets a little bit harder: even though the granite is very good, beginners may get into trouble on some steps ( Grade I and II ).
From Irumugarrieta, go down to the N.E. until the Col d’Arditurri ( Arditurri Pass ), then go along the ridge, to the south. An easy chimney leads to the summit of Txurrumurru, 826m ~ 2,710ft. The trail goes to the S.E. and goes down a slab. A few more steps, and there is the last vertical wall, 15ft high, over the breach. Go down with care ( a steel ring in the rock may help you )until the breach, and follow the trail to the summit of the Peñas, Erroilbide, 836m ~ 2,746ft.

Descent:
1- Use the last part of the trail to go down to the south east, to cross the whole east side of the mountain until the Castillo Del Ingles. Walk 1km along th eroad to get back to your car.
2- Follow the ridge until you get bored of it ( ! ), and then bear half right until a trail crossing the west sid eof the mountain, that will take you back to Elurretxe. This itinerary is seldom used, and a bit confused ( but no one will disturb you ).

Essential Gear


A rope may be useful for beginners.
Swimsuit if you plan to swim in the Ocean when back to the Coast.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.