Normal Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.61390°N / 12.83452°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy hike with a short climb ( UIAA I )
Sign the Climber's Log
-
-
-
-

Route description

Monte Volaia
Sasso nero
Monte Coglians group
From Forni Avoltri take the narrow road to Collina and then park your car at Baita Edelweiss ( 1224 m ). Just before the bridge over rio Chianaletta there's a marked path on the left of the road ( n°176 ). The first part of the path it's inside a beautiful forest of conifers and beeches. Then you leave the bush behind and you reach the grassy slopes dominated by the huge walls of pure white limestone of Sasso Nero and Cresta di Chianaletta. Once arrived at Forcella Ombladèt turn right ( indications for Pierabec and Monte Ombladèt ) and take the warpath to Tacca del Sasso Nero. You can reach Forcella Ombladèt From Pierabec ( Forni Avoltri ) also with the marked path n°141. In a Few minutes you will be in a white world of limestone following the paths of the italian soldiers of the WWI. When arrived at Tacca del Sasso Nero ( 2350 m ) you will be astonished by the fantastic panorama in front of you, dominated by the giant cone of Monte Volaia. Near this place there are a lot of rests of the war and strange holes in the side of the mountain ( if the light is good you can take amazing pictures through them). The last part of the ascent is quite exposed and is a fun climb with a few passages of UIAA I. Fantastic the view from the top of the mountain ( 2470 m ) in all directions. For the descent follow the same path. Exitmated time 6/7 hours.
This side of Monti di Volaia is much less frequented then the austrian side ( there are no huts or other human installations ) and it's quite easy meet different animals of the local fauna like deers, roe-deers, marmots, the alpine chamois and various birds like partridges, wild-cocks, falcons and eagles. And if you're lucky you can also meet the elusive lynx.
The local flora also it's beautiful especially during the spring season.

Essential Gear

No particular gear is required for this route from spring to late fall. During the winter season full winter equipment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.