North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.33530°N / 106.1069°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Quartzville trailhead and follow basically the same directions for the Cameron Basin Route. Slowly follow the trail as it winds its way up into Cameron Basin. At one point, you will crest a hill, and be able to look up towards the rugged north face. There are many snow filled gully that climb sharply up to the steep slopes below Bross' summit. Be looking for which one you may want to do based on the conditions and your ability. Continue climbing until you are a little bit to the east of the bottom of the north face, and at this point drop down into the bottom of the basin. Climb up the other side, and end up below the steep gullies of the north face. Depending upon where you are you may have to climb to the top of another small ridge and down into another small drainage before getting to the base of the climb.

Route Description


You should have already picked out which gully you would like to ascend. At this point put on your crampons and climb up the steep slopes until you enter the gully. For the biggest most prominent gully, you can hike right up into it. For some of the other you have to contour some cliffs by climbing a ramp that leads to the base of the gully. The gullies range in length from approximately 500 to 700 feet in length. They should exceed much more than fifty degrees in steepness. Climb through the gully, and exit at the top on the steep slopes one thousand feet below Bross' summit. From its a quick hike over talus to Bross' wide summit.

Essential Gear


An ice ax and crampons are absolutely necessary for this climb. A rope probably won't be needed, but may be used as a precaution. These gullies are extremely prone to avalanching because of the strong winds that whip Mt. Bross. Avalanche gear is therefore required unless climbing in late spring after the snowpack has consoldiated. Don't try to climb afterwards because they will be an endless pile of rubble.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.