North Flank Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.93190°N / 102.9977°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 (Walk-Up)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Nature Conservancy has constructed a parking lot and trailhead for the Black Mesa Preserve. All hikes of Black Mesa should begin at this point in order to minimize damage to the area.

Route Description


The trail begins at the northeast end of the mesa and meanders around its base before ascending around 500 ft to the top. It then continues for a short distance to the summit marker in the midst of what seems to be a vast plain. All in all, the well-marked route encompasses 8.4 miles round-trip and only about 800 vertical feet. The mesa top used to be difficult to navigate, however, signs marking either "HIGHPOINT" or "TRAIL HEAD" (depending on direction of travel) lead the way.

Essential Gear


None required

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.