North Imnaha Comments

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Grande.
Posted Dec 2, 2004 8:11 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

I'm running a little behind. Thanks for the vote and have a Merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:36 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Cool and very colorful mountain! Excellent job and have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Dec 2, 2004 8:20 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks Britt, you have a merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:35 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Another good Wallowa page. Way to go.
Posted Dec 2, 2004 9:01 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks Dean, you have a Merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:34 pm

SaintgrizzlyUntitled Comment

Saintgrizzly

Nice! Interesting geological commentary, as well (I'm not a geologist, so I might be about to show my ignorance, but is this area volcanic in origin?). The colors are most unusual, if not just a bit weird!--something your photos do a good job of bringing out.
Posted Dec 2, 2004 10:21 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Yes, there are volcanics involved, but most of the rocks we see today are sedimentary or metamorphic depending on what part of the mountains you are in.

For a good (but very brief) description of the the Wallowa's geology go to this link.

The book itself goes into much greater detail and is very interesting. Overall its lacking in many areas, but the geology section and the photos make it a worthwhile purchase.

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. Thanks for the good vote.
Posted Dec 24, 2004 2:27 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

A very interesting page! I would be interested why there are so many different kinds of rock on one mountain. I have seen similar - but completely different (??!!??) - rock outcroppings along the main ridge of the Carnic Alps lately. See here for instance. There those different layers were caused by the build-up of the Alps along the faultline in the valley to the north. If I understood correctly, this build-up occurred in "waves" rolling in from the south and kind-of "breaking" across the fault line. Thus olf layers turned up on top of new ones, with equally aged layers sometimes on top as well as down below in the rock.

A strange concept to think of this buildup as waves...
Posted Dec 3, 2004 2:02 am

wuedesauUntitled Comment

wuedesau

Very interesting page and mountain, thanks also for adding geological information .
Posted Dec 3, 2004 3:13 am

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks for another vote. I appreciate it.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:33 pm

cmc56789Untitled Comment

cmc56789

Cool page! I like to see geology info. Maybe after a few more years of classes in it I will be able to explain how these formations came to be.
Posted Dec 4, 2004 2:52 am

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

For a brief explanation on Wallowa geology check out this link

If your interested in Wallowa geology you ought to buy the book because it goes into much more depth and is clearer than this brief summary. Overall the book is lacking a bit, but the photos and geology section make it a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks for the vote, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
Posted Dec 24, 2004 2:11 am

cmc56789Untitled Comment

cmc56789

Thanks for the link!
Posted Dec 31, 2004 2:03 am

oldoregonUntitled Comment

Awesome Page. In my opinion this area is one of the most diverse in the state. Geologicaly, ecologicaly, and for just sheer remoteness and inaccessability. Im hoping to eventyally draw a cusick mountain unit mountain goat tag, and when I do, this is where I will be hunting.
Posted Dec 15, 2004 6:08 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks for the comments and the vote. I don't know if you noticed, but in the Miscellaneous section, I credited you with providing me the local name of this mountain.

Heck hunting goats in that area would be like shooting a cow in a pasture. Have fun and send me a picture when you do.
Posted Dec 15, 2004 8:04 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks for another vote Rob.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:32 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks Jennifer. You have a Merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:33 pm

mrhUntitled Comment

mrh

Thanks rpc, you have a merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 22, 2004 7:35 pm

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Another reason to get back up to the Wallowas - great page and a nice link to the geologic history.

don