Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 24, 2010 10:11 am - Voted 10/10

Great route photos

It's the rare trip report that is both a good read and a good informational source; truth be told, I cannot say that for most of my own. But yours does both.

You made the right call getting a ride to American Basin, but your Camry probably would have made it okay to Grizzly Gulch from Lake City. But the hike up from American is very scenic, and the view at the top is great. In that area, I've done Handies, Redcould, Sunshine, San Luis, Sneffels, Uncompahgre, and Wetterhorn, and I think the view from Handies was the best. I took a more direct route down from the summit when I was there, and that gave me a break from the crowds-- there was some kind of big trail run going on that day, and the peak was packed. Definitely a detriment to enjoying the mountains that day, as it seemed like a busy city street instead.

North Maroon is still on my list of the few 14ers I have any interest in anymore, so I appreciated reading your comments and seeing the route photos. One of these days, I mean to do the traverse from North Maroon, but with my focus on Wyoming and Montana now, I don't know when it will happen. But if it does, I will refer to this TR again before going. Thanks for the good work.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - May 31, 2011 12:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great route photos

It's been a few years but looking back on it I think I get your sentiments on the Elks...it's hard to have a wilderness experience on any of the 14ers or other popular areas near them. If you ever get to it it's still a great climb, and I'm sure the wife would enjoy Aspen while you're scrambling around.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 29, 2011 5:27 pm - Voted 10/10

for a Boston boy...

You sure get out west a lot!

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - May 29, 2011 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: for a Boston boy...

Once or twice a year...I live for it

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'North Maroon and Handies Too' main page