North or South Ridges from the North

North or South Ridges from the North

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.83850°N / 111.7496°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is the shortest and easiest route for a climb of North Peak. This is the same trail described in the North Route of Mount Nebo, with the exception that this route leaves the main trail and continues to the summit of North Peak, instead of continuing on to the summit of Mount Nebo.

Refer to the main page 'Getting There' section for directions to the trailhead.

Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 2.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,889 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 675 ft.

Trailhead Elevation: 9,285 ft.
Summit Elevation: 11,174 ft.

Route Description

From the trailhead follow the trail up the hill to the south, parallel to the livestock fence on the left. At the top of this first hill the trail descends for a period before beginning to climb once again.

The trail then enters a steep north-facing chute on the left, then contours to the right (west) before beginning to climb rather steeply up the west ridge of the chute.

Near the top of the ridge the trail eventually reaches a flat area on the ridge, at an elevation of ±10,500 feet, where the views open up to the west. The north summit of Mount Nebo also makes its appearance in the distance to the south. The summit of North Peak lies directly up the ridge on the left, as shown in this photo.

The trail continues south, contouring around the west flanks of North Peak to the summit of Mount Nebo, so for an ascent of North Peak leave the trail at any convenient location and follow the ridge directly to the summit. There is only a vague trail up the ridge but the route is straightforward, and there is no scrambling.

An alternative to following this north ridge is to remain on the trail as it makes its full circuit around the west slopes of North Peak, to Wolf Pass saddle, at an elevation of ±10,800. Wolf Pass is the low point on the ridge connect Mount Nebo to the south with the summit of North Peak.

From Wolf Pass turn left and proceed up the south ridge to the summit of North Peak. Once again, there is only a vague trail along this ridge, but the route is straightforward and there is no scrambling.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.