North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.30300°N / 105.439°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start at the Rolling Creek Trailhead (8,340-ft) which is also the Colorado Trail. Make sure you take the Colorado Trail to the right for this hike. The Rolling Creek Trail heads south towards the Wellington Lake area. Take this trail 2.8 miles as it gradually climbs to 9,300 ft. At this point you come to a very important signed junction with the Payne Creek trail.

Route Description

Leave the comforts of the trail and start your bushwhack up Windy Peaks steepening north ridge. Start your ascent up through the trees and continue straight north. You shouldn't have many obstacles besides the trees that deter you from heading straight up the broad ridge. At 10,400 ft the ridge begins to narrow and take normal ridge shape. It also steepens as well. The crux of this route is from 10,400-ft to 11,500-ft at tree line. There are two bouderfields that will require you to traverse out onto the west face to bypass. Stick to the right of the ridge to bypass any difficulties during this section. I would traverse out on Windy Peak's west face and then climb straight up to as close to the ridge crest as I could. I would repeat this, over and over until I reached tree line. From tree line continue up onto the first of a few wide-open plateaus. Locating the actual summit can be a little tricky but if you strike out and accidently summit a few of the falsies, don't worry for actual summit is distinguishable as being the slightly higher stack of boulders. There is a metal canister with summit registry on top. I looked like about 20 people climb Windy Peak a year. Enjoy the solitude.

Essential Gear

Always be prepared for an overnight stay if worst comes to worst.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.