North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.91420°N / 106.4479°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: II+
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North Ridge from Three Apostle Basin
The North Ridge is a fun scramble over several towers to the the summit of West Apostle.

Getting There

First Tower on the ridge
Mountain Flowers - Three Apostle Basin

Unlike the West Rige the best way to get to the North Ridge is not! via Lake Ann, but via Three Apostle Basin.

Hike from Winfield (if you have a low clearance car) or from the end of the 4 x 4 road along the left side (east) of the creek to the junction of Lake Ann Trail and Three Apostle Trail. Turn left on the Three Apostle Trail. The trail is crossing the creek after 300 yards on a tree trunk. Hike on the right (west) side of the creek through forest up to the Three Apostle Basin.

When reaching the Three Apostle Basin, the North Ridge of West Apostle is to the right (west)of you.

After reaching the Basin do not follow the faint trail across the creek heading in direction of Ice Mountain, but stay on the right (=west) side of the creek and head up the basin until you are below the North Ridge. The northernmost point of the ridge can be reached by scrambling up the talus loaden slope to the right (west).

Route Description

Along the North Ridge
Crest of the ridge can be easily gained.Once on the ridge, it is a straightforward and fun Class 2+ climb on/along the crest of the ridge all the way up to the summit

Essential Gear

Heart shaped lake below Ice Mountain - seen from North Ridge

bring a helmet - lots of loose talus on the ridge

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.