North Trapper - Revisited

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.90064°N / 114.28955°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 9, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring

North Trapper - Revisited




The Summit – 9,801’
Route Elevation Gain – 4,378‘
Distance – 7.4 miles (total)
Difficulty – Class 4 (in good weather)
Total Route Time – 10 hours 25 minutes
Ascent Date – 9jun07

East Trapper from Baker LakeEast Trapper as seen from Baker Lake

Having climbed North Trapper fairly recently, (October 14, 2006), it was surprising that the possibility of revisiting that summit would present itself so soon. Normally I’m more interested in attempting peaks which I’ve never visited. But this was a chance I couldn’t pass up.

When I received the Rocky Mountaineers’ Newsletter a week earlier, I noticed Forest Dean (Mtn Ear) was scheduled to lead an attempt on North Trapper. I knew at this time of year there would be snow on the route, especially in two couloirs which would have to be navigated. I had never climbed on snow and figured this might be a good chance for me to gain some experience. I knew the route, so figured the only “new” thing with which I would be contending, was snow. But I also understood the concept that “snow is no small thing.”
View from Middle LakeRock towers along the ridge to East Trapper can be seen from Middle Lake.

Wanting more information before committing, I contacted a good friend who has extensive winter experience in the mountains, Tim Sharp (T Sharp). Having more faith in my abilities than I, he convinced me to give it a try. He even loaned me crampons (mine were still on backorder).

Because the weather forecast for the 10th was not good, the climb was moved up one day. Unfortunately, most of those who had hoped to go along, had to drop out for one reason or another, leaving a climbing party of three, Forest, Nathan, and me.

Now, let me just point a few of things about our party. Forest, 34 years old, has plenty of winter experience in the mountains, is tall, very fit, and an excellent athlete. Nathan, 30 years old, (a new acquaintance for Forest and me), is also very fit, had been climbing mountains all winter, and is attending guide school. Then there I am, 59 years old, fairly fit (haven’t yet reached my peak summer fitness level), and with limited winter experience in the mountains (no climbing on snow).
Nathan and Forest on the SnowAfter descending from the col above Gem Lake.

Here I was, almost twice their age, and not at my "best." I figured it would be a push to keep up with them. (It turned out I was right.) Of course it didn’t help that I’d decided to lug almost double the amount of weight I normally carry (training for some long backcountry excursions later this summer). On top of that, I would be learning to climb and descend with crampons on snow-filled couloirs. I knew that would require extra effort.

6:55 am – We arrived at the Baker Lake Trailhead and prepared to get moving. It didn’t take long, no more than 10 minutes.
Removing CramponsRemoving crampons

7:20 am – Finishing the steep beginning portion of the trail which ends at Baker Point Overlook, we stopped to shed our extra layers and take a couple of pictures.

7:55 am – We arrived at Baker Lake. Forest pointed out East Trapper to Nathan (he’d never been in this area before) and I pointed out a couple of routes from Baker Lake which take a climber to the Trapper Peak summit.

8:25 am – Half an hour later we were taking pictures at Middle Lake. Of the three lakes along this route, (Baker, Middle, and Gem), Middle Lake is my favorite. In my opinion the views over its waters are superior to those from the other two. On this day, Middle Lake was mostly melted out, just a small portion remained ice covered.
Preparing to Ascend the CouloirPreparing to ascend North Trapper's southeast couloir.

8:35 am – It’s only a short uphill hike from Middle Lake to Gem Lake, past a waterfall full of melt-water. Gem Lake was still covered in ice, though it was soft and ready to disappear during the next warm weather.

8:30 am – We wasted no time sightseeing, but immediately began climbing from the lake toward the col above.

8:50 am – The top portion of the 650’ descent couloir was melted out, so we down climbed until we reached the snow. After offering me a few pointers on how to self-arrest, each of us tested the snow conditions to determine if crampons were needed. Probably not – we decided to try heel-kicking our way down. The snow wasn’t super-hard, and for the most part, our steps held. I slipped a couple of times, and discovered self-arrest is not too difficult if you keep your head. Of course the slope wasn’t more than 40 to 45 degrees most of the time. That helps, too.
Exit PointThe exit point from the couloir to the friction slabs.

9:30 am – When we reached the bottom, we decided to split up as we moved across the mostly-open cirque toward the base of North Trapper. Forest and Nathan preferred to stay on snow and followed the snow fields. I prefer walking on terra firma, so took the more direct path across a mix of bear grass, heather, and rock.

10:10 am – It wasn’t long before they ran out of snow and were forced to join me on the direct route.

Unfortunately it was at this point that I discovered the GPS was missing from my belt. I backtracked to where I’d last removed my pack to see if that was where it had slipped off. Damn! Oh well, as much as I hated to lose it, a GPS is only a piece of equipment, and on this outing, wasn’t really needed. I’d only brought it along to create a record of our track. No one died or was even hurt. I got over it. We moved on…
The Equipment CacheForest caching his
extra equipment.

10:45 am – Upon reaching the base of North Trapper, we checked snow conditions in the couloir we would use begin our climb – very hard. Because the couloir receives direct sun, the snow had developed a thick crust as the top layers went through a daily routine of freezing and thawing. Finding it impossible to kick boot-steps, we broke out the crampons for the first time.

11:00 am – We began to climb – on toe points. The only route up North Trapper which is classified as a Class 4 scramble goes up this couloir (every other known ascent is more difficult). This, the Olbu Route, was the route we’d agreed to use.
Forest Approaches the Ridge-CrestForest approaching the ridge-crest.

11:20 am – We reached the place in the couloir (about 9,000’) where the Olbu Route exits onto friction slabs. Nathan wanted to continue up the couloir on snow and tackle the rock, which by blocking the route turns it into a technical climb. After all, he’d carried his climbing equipment all this way – he wanted to use it! Forest agreed to go with him and belay. I stuck to the agreed-upon route.

The Olbu Route crosses slabs toward the west as it climbs about 200’ to a ledge system which then follows a dike of black rock back to the east. It is this long switchback which keeps the route out of the technical climbing range.
Stepping on North TrapperNathan reaches
the summit.

The dike and ledge system takes you to the bottom of a gully, the top of which places you on the North Trapper ridge-crest. Before climbing the gully, I looked into the ascent couloir for Nathan and Forest, but saw only tracks in the snow going upward. Knowing they were above, I prepared to scramble. I figured there was little or no chance I was going to need the extra equipment I was carrying during the remainder of the climb, so I dumped ice axe, crampons, helmet, and harness in an easily-visible pile.

Continuing upward, I crossed small patches of snow, looking for signs of my partners. None! Knowing it was possible they had avoided the snow while climbing, I kept going toward the summit.
North Trapper Summit RegisterNorth Trapper's
summit register.

12:00 noon – I arrived on the summit and had it all to myself. Forest and Nathan were nowhere to be seen. I was tired, very tired. I ate, drank, and most of all, rested.

12:15 pm – I heard a shout. Looking over the edge, I saw Nathan and Forest approaching my cache of climbing gear. I yelled instructions about the path they should follow to the summit. Forest complied – Nathan decided to take a more difficult and direct path, of course!

12:40 pm – Forest arrived on the summit.

12:50 pm – Nathan stepped on the summit block. We took pictures, ate, hydrated, and talked about the great day we were having.
Nathan on the SW Summit BlockNathan on the southwest summit block.

1:15 pm – We left the summit. After more than an hour of rest on top, I felt fairly fresh. We descended together. Nathan had fulfilled his desire to use everything in his pack and wanted to see the “official” route. For that day, he was through “looking for a more difficult way.”

The return trip through the Trapper Peaks Cirque was uneventful as we trekked toward the base of the couloir which would return us to the col above Gem Lake. To say we were not looking forward to the ascent would be an understatement.

Forest, in his big plastic boots, led the way up the couloir, boot-kicking steps for Nathan and me. A few minutes into the climb, I yelled up, “Hey Forest. Have mercy on us short guys. Take shorter steps.” Nice guy that he is, he did just that.
Return to the ColA short rest after returning to the col above Gem Lake.

4:00 pm – Catching our breath at the col, we looked back toward North Trapper and gained a real appreciation for what we’d accomplished. A bit of rest, food, and water were required. Forest put away his “plastic” boots for the day. The remainder of the return would be on dry land.

4:25 pm – Making the short drop from Gem Lake, we arrived at Middle Lake and took a few pictures while adjusting our packs for the remaining stretch of trail.

5:30 pm – Back at the trailhead, we were quick to exchange boots and sweaty socks for more comfortable footwear. Nathan and Forest were at least polite and “acted” like they were tired. On the other hand, I “knew” I was whipped. Completely!

After congratulations all around for “a job well-done”, we headed home.

The obligatory summit picture - left to right - Mike (the old man) and (the young bucks) Forest and Nathan



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jun 15, 2007 1:46 am - Voted 10/10

Nice job, Mike...!

Boy, does that bring back some great memories!!!! (By the way, what camera were you using?--your photos are quite sharp, and have great color!)

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 15, 2007 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice job, Mike...!

Thanks Vernon,

I was using my new Nikon D80 with an 18-135mm zoom lens. It does a great job. I'm quite happy with it.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jun 15, 2007 11:22 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice job, Mike...!

Aside from the esthetic quality, those pictures are a joy to look at from a technical standpoint. Quality is instantly apparent, just jumps off the page (screen), and the difference is not small! "I'm quite happy with it." No kidding!

benjohnson

benjohnson - Jun 15, 2007 11:46 am - Voted 10/10

Great

Sounds like you guys had a good trip. A little different on hardened snow, huh? Great photos, too.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jun 16, 2007 7:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report

...and super pictures. Thanks for sharing.

mtn ear

mtn ear - Jun 21, 2007 10:06 am - Hasn't voted

Very nice report!

Well Mike, here I thought we brought you along just for your picture taking ability...little did I know your trip report would be front and center on the Home Page! Great trip, and consider yourself hired for any photojournalism needs in the future. And for everyone out there reading this, don't believe the modesty...Mike kept up with us "young bucks" and then some!!

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 21, 2007 12:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice report!

Thanks for the compliments, Forest. However, I may have kept up but was "sucking air" while you guys were hardly breathing.

Deb

Deb - Jun 21, 2007 11:06 am - Voted 10/10

Fun Story and Great Pics

What a beautiful place to romp with friends!

sandra basford - Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am - Voted 10/10

Inspiring Report

Your trip report has the zing of adventure. The pictures are awesome. Looks like your group had a wonderful climb. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

North Trapper PeakTrip Reports