North Truchas Peak from Trampas Lakes

North Truchas Peak from Trampas Lakes

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational, Scenery

North Truchas Peak from Trampas Lakes

Start: Trampas TH
Trailhead access: NM Hwy 76 and Forest Service Road 207, the trailhead is at the end of the road.
Total distance (RT): ~13.6 mi
Total elevation gain: ~4,900 ft
Route: Trampas TH - Trampas Trail (Trail #31) - Trampas Lakes (5.8 mi) - UN 12,900 (6.3 mi) - North Truchas Peak (6.8 mi)


North Truchas Peak from Trampas Lakes: Route MapRoute Map

Access Gully to UN 12,900 summit

Connecting ridge between Sheepshead and UN 12,900 from Trampas LakesConnecting ridge between "Sheepshead" Peak (UN 12,696) and UN 12,900 as seen from above Trampas Lakes. The grassy gully on the left provides a convenient way to gain the ridge.
Access gullyInside the access gully.
Looking down the gullyLooking down the access gully toward Trampas Lakes.
On the ridge: view toward Sheepshead PeakStanding on the ridge after climbing out of the gully. View NW toward "Sheepshead" Peak (UN 12,696).
Looking down Las Trampas ValleyLooking down Las Trampas Valley. The approach to the ridge starts between the lakes.
Middle and Medio Truchas PeaksMiddle (center) and Medio (left) Truchas Peaks as seen on the approach to the summit of UN 12,900
Sheepshead Peak from halfway to the summit  of UN 12,900Typical conditions on the ridge halfway to the summit of UN 12,900. View NW toward "Sheepshead" Peak (UN 12,696)

UN 12,900

UN 12,900: summit view NWSummit of UN 12,900, view northwest.
UN 12,900: summit view N-NESummit of UN 12,900, view along the northeast ridge.
UN 12,900: view toward North Truchas PeakSummit of UN 12,900, view along the connecting ridge to North Truchas Peak.

UN 12,900 to North Truchas Peak: the Headwall

Northwest ridge of North Truchas PeakTypical conditions on the Northwest Ridge of North Truchas Peak, halfway from UN 12,900
The HeadwallThe main headwall just before the summit of North Truchas. The wall is pretty high (~60 ft)
and offers multiple Class 3-4 lines on the left starting behind a small red tower.
For a more detailed description of the headwall look here
Climbing the Headwall The Headwall: shown in red is one of the climbing lines (some other feasible lines
can be found nearby). It involves a couple of Class 4 moves and some exposure
The Headwall: a close-up viewThe Headwall: a close-up view from the base

North Truchas Peak

North Truchas Peak: summit view southwestNorth Truchas: summit view southwest. Medio Truchas Peak is seen in the center,
Middle Truchas is on the right and South Truchas is on the left
Rio Quemado Valley: view from North TruchasRio Quemado Valley as seen from the summit of North Truchas Peak


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bezoar Goat

Bezoar Goat - Mar 1, 2011 12:45 pm - Voted 9/10

basin traverse

I discovered a nasty 60 foot headwall shrouding the pass between Quemado basin and Trampas lakes while traversing from the Sheepshead to North Truchas, about 300 feet below the North Truchas summit. There's a few 5th class moves that didn't feel safe in ski boots, so I'll be heading back this summer to sort it out.

jrosay

jrosay - Sep 6, 2011 5:05 pm - Hasn't voted

the headwall

If I had seen the present description of the headwall, I might have not tried to climb North Truchas. Fortunately, last year the description was less intimidating, and so we went (what a great hike!). The headwall indeed poses some problem. We found a way following a short steep but entirely safe chimney, followed by a short less steep chimney going left, and from there it was a piece of cake. One should indeed warn people about the headwall, but people with minimal ability should not be scared. I am NOT a rock climber.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.