Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.66990°N / 114.6798°W
Additional Information Route Type: Bushwhack/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access the Northeast Ridge Route from Ketchum, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for 16 miles until reaching the turnoff on the south side of the highway for Baker Creek.

Take this turn and follow this outstanding dirt road for 9.5 long miles to the depth of the Smoky Mountains. Park at the trailhead for Baker Lake.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:4.5
  • Total Elevation Gain:2,300'
  • Class:II

    From the trailhead, hike less than one-quarter mile up the Baker Lake trail until reaching the point where it turns noticeably northwestward. At this point, leave the trail and cross to the south side of Baker Creek, which may be difficult early in the season.

    Bushwhack through the steep, forested slopes to the saddle that sits just above 8,600'. Turn west and follow the gradual rising northeast ridge of Baker Peak for a little more than a mile to the false summit just to the north of the peak. The ridgeline is made of mostly broken rock but no climbing is required.

    From the false summit, follow the obvious ridgeline to the summit area to the south.

    Essential Gear


    No essential gear required for this relatively easy route up Baker Peak.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.